British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-12-11, 08:00 PM

Default 91 CEF (Elgin Overseas)

I am starting to think about putting together a collection of Elgin Regiment items. I see that currently there are two badges for the 91st Bn CEF on ebay. However, in looking at these (one is labeled an officer's variety) and in recalling one I saw C. Brooker selling about 6 weeks ago, they seem to be of a rather lacklustre manufacture. Both the finish and strike in these examples is weak.

I am wondering if this is as good as this particular badge gets or should I keep my eye out for better examples/diff. makers??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91CEF Compare.jpg (55.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 05-12-11, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Miller View Post
I am starting to think about putting together a collection of Elgin Regiment items. I see that currently there are two badges for the 91st Bn CEF on ebay. However, in looking at these (one is labeled an officer's variety) and in recalling one I saw C. Brooker selling about 6 weeks ago, they seem to be of a rather lacklustre manufacture. Both the finish and strike in these examples is weak.

I am wondering if this is as good as this particular badge gets or should I keep my eye out for better examples/diff. makers??
Hello,

There are better badges of this unit available the on looks like the finish has been taken right off the one on the left.

I will post mine for you tomorrow!

Rob
Old 08-12-11, 05:08 PM

Default 91st Elgin County CEF Battalion Badge In response to

Hello Bill,

Here's mine! Pickled Brass

I hope this will let yew know better quality badges are out there!

Cheers
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC11036.jpg (26.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11034.jpg (40.0 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by mad4thcef; 08-12-11 at 05:09 PM. Reason: name
Old 08-12-11, 05:30 PM

Thanks Rob!

Yes, I think I will be patient and what for a better example to come along. I am in no rush, I'm still slowly chipping away at my CEF Cavalry/CMR collection anyway.

Bill
Old 16-02-13, 05:01 AM

Question Shoulder titles and collars

What did the 91st wear for shoulder titles? Generic Canada title? What about collars (small cap badge design or C/over)? Does anyone have know of any photos of the insignia in use? I see the Elgin County Archives has some photos on Flicker, but all of them seem to be wearing General List badges (early enlistment photos).

If the current Elgin badge design (not the Engineers badge) was created and first issued in 1931, what were they wearing (Cap/Collar/Shoulders) between 1920 and 1931? CEF badges?

I've picked up some Elgin odds and ends lately (and looking for more), but I think it is all either pre CEF or post 1920. Seems the 91st Bn CEF stuff is scarce (at least in my neck of the woods) Any photos or descriptions you can post to help me identify would be much appreciated.
Old 16-02-13, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Bill, The C/x type collars were issued for the fighting battalions, plus a couple of the reserve battalions (eg the 9th Bn). They were not issued for every battalion formed. There were no C/91 collars.
Old 16-02-13, 03:51 PM

Thanks Bill, I didn't think they wore C/xx collars, but that does clear up for me why some units did have C/xx collars and some did not...
Old 16-02-13, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

At risk of diverting from the original topic, the front line infantry battalions were the ones issued the C/xx numbers. If you look at the Canadian Corps order of battle and add a couple of the reserve Bns plus C/259 and C/260 those were the units who wore the C/x's.
Old 18-10-14, 03:00 AM

Talking Back on topic...

No one could ever accuse me of being at the right place at the right time, so in my 16 years of collecting I have not had many occasions for a bargain or an unexpected surprise. However! that has changed. I finally got lucky (so to speak)

This very unexpected surprise came in the mail today. A 91 Bn Officers Cap Badge when I had thought I purchased an plain OR's Cap Badge. But it gets better, I only paid $35 for it (incl. shipping & shipping was nearly half the cost) from a UK seller of antiques.

Badge was mis-listed as 'British', incorrectly described as a collar, no mention of the silvered overlay, poor photography did not highlight or render the overlay in any discernible way... I was the only bidder.

I had not inspected an Officer's badge before, but when seen in hand, the overlay is immediately obvious and the badge has a very high relief compared to an OR's cap badge. In the seller's defense, it is a hard badge to photograph so that the overlay contrasts against the bronze.

It is quite a heavy badge. I have taken a comparison photo with my other 91Bn badges. All use the same die, however they all have different backs/construction. The brass/gilt badge is fully stamped, the copper/bronze OR's is partially stamped and the officer's has a partial back but honestly looks more like it might have been cast. The quality of the front is finer in its detail too.

Needs a little bit of a bath to clean some gunk out of the lettering, but otherwise a highly welcome addition to my growing Elgin collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91Bn Officers_front.jpg (96.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 91Bn Officers_back.jpg (76.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 91Bn Officers_overlay detail.jpg (44.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 91Bn Compare_fronts.jpg (103.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 91Bn Compare_backs.jpg (69.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 18-10-14, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Bill, Every once and awhile one gets lucky! Great to get more for your money than expected.
I am sure Larry would appreciate images of each badge by itself to be added to the CEF Gallery.
Old 18-10-14, 05:43 PM

Nice !

Steal the deal at least once!

Tags
91st, elgin