British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-05-08, 03:32 PM

JJ,

Don't feel bad about using someone else's knowledge as which one of us was born with any knowledge on badges, I certainly wasn't in any case someone would have told the guy your quoting from so its not like its copyright or anything. I don't believe in intellectual property as no man has been divinely bestowed with it rather acquired it off another individual so please quote away as I'm not a member of that forum

Luke
Old 17-05-08, 03:38 PM

Default Parachute Regiment Badge

Hi
Ive seemed to have opened a can of worms on this subject, sorry lads, but i think its good to share info etc etc, its what this forum is all about, helping other collectors out, sharig info etc, its a good thing.
Anyways, seen this beret badge for sale on ebay, looks okay to me, taking into account the rounded inner feathers on the wing, would like your comments

cheers
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CaptureWiz180.jpg (7.4 KB, 90 views)
Old 17-05-08, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny lad View Post
Hi
Ive seemed to have opened a can of worms on this subject, sorry lads, but i think its good to share info etc etc, its what this forum is all about, helping other collectors out, sharig info etc, its a good thing.
Anyways, seen this beret badge for sale on ebay, looks okay to me, taking into account the rounded inner feathers on the wing, would like your comments

cheers
Brian
Hi Brian,
Would need a piccy of the back to be sure but it was the QC of which I spoke
Cheers,
Luke
Old 17-05-08, 03:43 PM

Default Para Badge

Hi Luke
Just asked the seller for a picture, will post when i get it mate

cheers
Brian
Old 18-05-08, 01:33 PM

Default Parachute Badge

Hi Guys
Heres the picture of the reverse to the badge, maker marked Gaunt.
Is it a good one

cheers
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CaptureWiz184.jpg (51.6 KB, 71 views)
Old 19-05-08, 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=Jibba Jabba;12320]Luke

Your right, 1942 all brass, 1943 all nickel, Late 1943 pierced crown and post war with slider.

I have a voided/pierced crown nickel plated brass badge, so I'm inclined to think different makers instead of different dates for voided/non voided.

Regards,

fougasse1940
Old 19-05-08, 09:48 AM
Badge Guru

Hi Fougasse,

In regards the pierced crown I am quoting from a very knowldgeable collector from the Netherlands who's eBay handle begins with the letter I.

I am new to Parachute Regiment collecting.
Old 19-05-08, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Hi Fougasse,

In regards the pierced crown I am quoting from a very knowldgeable collector from the Netherlands who's eBay handle begins with the letter I.

I am new to Parachute Regiment collecting.
I think what "I" means (ebay item # 320240230015) is that the parachute regiment badge in general was issued from May 1943.
The metal badge was sealed 25th March 1943, the plastic badge was sealed 5th Februari 1944.
As to when they were first worn, 1st August 1942? (Lewis Golden: Echoes from Arnhem p. 30), 25th of May 1943?
For what its worth, mine came from an old lady in Oosterbeek.

Regards,
fougasse1940.
Old 19-05-08, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
I think what "I" means (ebay item # 320240230015) is that the parachute regiment badge in general was issued from May 1943.
The metal badge was sealed 25th March 1943, the plastic badge was sealed 5th Februari 1944.
As to when they were first worn, 1st August 1942? (Lewis Golden: Echoes from Arnhem p. 30), 25th of May 1943?

Regards,
fougasse1940.
Cannot believe the price that one went for, I got my one of that type for a tenner including a para metal shoulder title and few para buttons... completely and utterly gob smacked!
Old 19-05-08, 08:11 PM
Badge Guru

Quote:
My badge badge came from Watford. Does that double the value?

Quote:
Cannot believe the price that one went for, I got my one of that type for a tenner including a para metal shoulder title and few para buttons... completely and utterly gob smacked!
.....and thats what happens when you bid against that French guy I was telling you about in the wanted section, he'll pay any price. Barmy. Although he didnt win here, unlucky.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 19-05-08 at 08:22 PM.
Old 19-05-08, 10:25 PM

Default Brass Para Badge

Hi
What do you think of this Badge, post war QC and what looks like brass under the black paint job, looks like it has the curved feathers but too dark to see anymore detail, i do know that it is not maker marked.

Item number: 190223371999

cheers
Brian

p.s its on ebay - canada
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c2b1_1.jpg (27.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 31-05-08, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Luke

Your right, 1942 all brass, 1943 all nickel, Late 1943 pierced crown and post war with slider.

Sorry to pimp another forum so to speak but this is the definitive guide to fake para badges on the net:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...chute+regiment

It would be good if we had something like this but I`m afraid I`d be stealing other peoples intellectual property. The best photo on there is the one of the back, that blurred detail is something I`m trying hard to hammer into everyones heads here. It applies to nearly 75 percent of fakes on the market.
I started that thread over at wehrmacht-awards, I hope this is the photo you're referring to. No fears about stealing it as I took it.

I agree that it would be good to start a similar thread here, hopefully we'll get together a larger cross section of badges. At the moment I won't touch a K/C Para badge with a slider no matter how good it looks,I'm just not convinced.

I'll try and dig out the rest of my photos for posting and hopefully I'll have my camera back from repair early next week. If not it's going to be overtime for the next month for a new one .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paraback.jpg (64.0 KB, 85 views)
Old 31-05-08, 09:43 AM
Badge Guru

Hey Jim................good to see you here. Your expertise on Parachute Regiment badges will be most appreciated here. You are also welcome to back me up everytime I mention on the forum about blurred reverse detailing on reproduction badges .
Old 31-05-08, 12:49 PM

I've been registered here for quite a while thanks to my good cybermate Keith Blakeman but pressure of work has kept me away from many forums for the past 5 months.

Not really a case of expertise it was more a case of gathering people's observations together and trying to come to a sensible conclusion as to what's the real deal and what's not.

As I said in my previous post we have more interested parties here than appeared at WMF so we may make better progress.

I'm very interested in the brass version, I have one that I'm convinced is good, from the same die as a plated one. I know I've read somewhere that the very first badges were in brass, but can I find it now? None of the living vets can remember it either unfortunately.

I'll happily support you on the blurred reverse until such time as we're proved wrong then I'm bailing out.
Old 01-06-08, 08:33 AM

Great thread gents.

For general info, anodised queens crown Parachute Regt also comes non voided. I have a Gaunt and a Smith & Wright example. I think the kings crown version is non voided too. Not seen a real one, no idea if has lugs or slider. Anyone know?

Tags
parachute regiment