British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-12-10, 03:08 PM

Default TA Leicester's.

This badge has no sweat holes, but is of some weight.All opinions welcomed.Regards Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ta leicester 1.jpg (71.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg ta leicester 2.jpg (65.2 KB, 74 views)
Old 21-12-10, 03:13 PM

I'd say it looks good, just based on the strike mark on the slider.

Simon.
Old 21-12-10, 05:03 PM

I think it is good as well!

CB
Old 21-12-10, 05:41 PM
Former Member

Default Territorial Leicesters

I'm not convined on this one! From the front it looks fairly good. However the slider is wrong IMO, the crimp mark is a feint example typically found on repros to make them look a little more "Authentic". The slider should be longer, fitted to the center of the Tiger's belly and not be so uniform in shape. Furthermore the lack of reverse detail, in particular to the rear of the base scroll does not bode well, although this could be down to maker variations I would not tag it as Genuine if I were selling it!

I've attached a Genuine example, don't be put off by the brightness as it is in Mint un-issued condition and a flash has been used when taking the photo.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG9928.JPG (73.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG9929.jpg (30.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 21-12-10, 05:59 PM

Default Leicesters TA Badge

Hi Phil

Although I’ve only been collecting for a couple of years now, and so am certainly not as experienced as numerous other Forum members, I have to say that I personally currently consider the badge you have to be a reproduction. When I first started collecting Leicesters badges I bought one of this same manufacturer’s design, albeit an all-brass/gilding metal version (see here), and even though this very same design does appear in Cox's Military Badges of the British Empire 1914-18 (see this posting), I was advised that mine was a modern repro. Since then I have acquired a few of the exact same maker’s design, including a bi-metal one like yours, but I still, at present, regard them all as reproductions. I remember you did post up some images of a rather nice genuine bi-metal Leicesters TA badge you have, which had been converted into a sweet heart brooch, here and here. Although the design of your latest one is similar to that one, you should be able to see that they are not, in fact, by the same maker. Until I’m convinced otherwise I’m afraid my personal opinion of the one you now have would be that it’s a repro.

Regards

Martin

P.S. In the same thread as the various posting I’ve mentioned above, nottuh13 put up some images of some Leicesters badges he had including two of the same design as yours but one of which did have sweat holes! I personally suspect this might not be as it first seems, and that the holes could have been added afterwards – though I have yet to get hold of an example myself to examine things in detail!!

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 21-12-10 at 08:05 PM.
Old 21-12-10, 08:17 PM

Thank you very much gentlemen, i will sell as a copy. Regards Phil.

Tags
leicestershire regiment, territorials