British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-10, 07:05 AM

Default 16th CLH & General Order 41/1928

The attached scan shows the two principal variants of the 16th Light Horse badge. For my purposes here, I’m going to call these the ‘skinny moose’ & the ‘fat moose’ patterns.

The Mazeas pre - ’14 reference book shows the ‘skinny moose’ authorized by General Order 100 in 1907. That author’s ’20-’50 badge book shows the ‘fat moose’ authorized by General Order 41 in 1928.

The few CEF reference books which I have, however, all suggest that both patterns were worn during WWI. Vic Taboika’s book calls the ‘skinny moose’ a Tiptaft product, implying that it may be nothing more than a manufacturer’s variant.

I found a copy of G.O. 100, the original authorization for the badge. It reads:

16th Mounted Rifles. – A cap and collar badge as described hereunder is authorized for the use of the 16th Mounted Rifles.

A moose’s head, with motto “King and Empire’ on scroll underneath

Here’s where I’m confused / curious: There is nothing about the ‘fat moose’
cap or collars which are inconsistent with the original description. In fact, the 1907 GO is silent regarding badge size & metals. One would assume then, that the bi-metal patterns, etc. could be worn without additional authority or amendments.

If all this is true, what exactly does G.O. 41 of 1928 say? It must speak to something, but what? I’m hoping someone on the forum has a copy & can post the text. Please hurry, I won’t sleep well until I find out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16 CLH.jpg (26.7 KB, 106 views)