British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-07-21, 05:07 PM

Default Supply & Transport Corps Indian Army

I have recently bought some medals with which came this badge. Medals are supposedly(!) for someone in S&T Corps WW1 (with pre-WW1 service too). I have found that this is a S&T Corps badge, but would it be for an officer? Has a bronzed finish with two lugs on the rear with a retaining pin. Approx 4.8cm tall by 3.7cm wide. The badge came with a 1914/15 Star named to LIEUT A. WILLIAMS S & T CORPS and a BWM & VM contrived to be for the same officer but there was another initial on both prior to the 'A' which has been made illegible by use of a small pin punch by the look of it. All of this has made me query the badge. Any thoughts/comments most welcome. Attached image not very good I'm afraid. Thank you. Stewart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&T (1).jpg (38.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 24-07-21, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

It appears to me to be an officers' collar badge.
Old 24-07-21, 06:02 PM

Hi Alan. Many thanks. That makes sense as I failed to mention that there are two of them! Do you happen to know (or does anyone else know?) if these have any scarcity value as I'm out of pocket big time with the medal Lot that I bought unseen (and poorly catalogued as it turns out) and have no great optimism in getting a refund. Stewart
Old 24-07-21, 09:55 PM

Hi Stewart,
Although the badge is lugged it may well be a cap badge so it could be better news! I have a collar to this Regiment which is only 40mm tall?
Many Thanks
Colin
Old 25-07-21, 10:29 AM

Colin might be right, think mine is lugged too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210725-130528~2.jpg (37.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 25-07-21, 03:49 PM

Dear both. Many thanks. The 'Officers' Service Dress - bronze' in the image from Sapper533 is same as my pair. I guess the size would determine cap badge or collar badge(s)? Although you'll have guessed that I know very little on the subject, reasoning suggests that there being two badges suggests collar - prove me wrong do! I have attached an image of the chap to whom these were supposed to have belonged, but certain things just don't 'add up' in the overall Lot. I have that sleeve badge he is wearing. The medal ribbon I believe is LS&GC and I have a medal to a Staff Sgt with S&T Corps - same name (sort of - it's complicated!). Kind regards, Stewart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Williams (2).jpg (29.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 25-07-21, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart andrew scott View Post
Dear both. Many thanks. The 'Officers' Service Dress - bronze' in the image from Sapper533 is same as my pair. I guess the size would determine cap badge or collar badge(s)? Although you'll have guessed that I know very little on the subject, reasoning suggests that there being two badges suggests collar - prove me wrong do! I have attached an image of the chap to whom these were supposed to have belonged, but certain things just don't 'add up' in the overall Lot. I have that sleeve badge he is wearing. The medal ribbon I believe is LS&GC and I have a medal to a Staff Sgt with S&T Corps - same name (sort of - it's complicated!). Kind regards, Stewart
He is a WO1 and thus wearing officers' uniform.