British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-09-20, 03:23 AM

Question Grampy's (Grenadier Guards?) Cap Badge

Howdy from Houston, y'all.

I'm hoping some eagle-eyed collector with much more experience than I'll ever have may be able to help my family solve the mystery of Grampy's cap badge

My great grandfather served in England in the 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards prior to WWI, was allowed to enter reserve service prior to the end of his term of commitment and emigrated to Canada during that time, was recalled to active service at the start of the Great War (1914 Star recipient in France) then was discharged while the war was still ongoing and sent home to England, where he joined the Guards Machine Gun Corps and served in that unit, in England, until demobilization. I originally just wanted just to get copies of the cap badges of the two units in which he served, and thought I'd succeeded in doing so, until I saw a photo of him in a uniform that is just plain perplexing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Qg...ew?usp=sharing

The photo was taken at the start of WWII, and the two men on either side of Grampy are two of his sons-in-law, preparing to depart for their own rendezvous with destiny. Apparently someone in the family thought they ought to get photos of the men in their uniforms, and somehow convinced the old retired soldier, Grampy, to put on a uniform of his own for the photos.

Grampy is clearly wearing his 1914 Star Trio medal bar, and the jacket he's wearing definitely looks military (it has three chevron stripes on one sleeve and something over it--a crown maybe?--no photos show it clearly) but the jacket has just two breast pockets and it looks to be blue or black. But by far the most confusing thing is the badge on his hat. What is that? That's what's driving me nuts, and I'm hoping someone here can help me ID what it might be, and point me to where I can get a copy.

This photo was taken in Canada so maybe it might be some Canadian reserve unit, though I find no record of him belonging to a militia or civil defense group, serving on a police force, etc. I've been told he did serve as a street car conductor after WWI in the Toronto area but I don't find any photos of TTA employees wearing anything that looks this military, and certainly not with chevron on their sleeves.

The badge seems to have a clan crest style belt and buckle encircling whatever the central device might be. Can anyone help identify it? Needless to say, the cap seems to be lost to history, so we can't just go find it to get a better photo--this picture and the information provided above are all I have to go on, and I'm clearly out of my depth, so thought I'd search for (and I found!) a forum for people who are far more knowledgeable about such matters than me, and throw myself on their mercy.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks--
Old 09-09-20, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Hello GMGC, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
In the image, the soldier on the left is a Toronto Scottish sergeant, with Assistant Instructor badge above the chevrons. The man on the right is wearing an airforce uniform. That brings us to your grandfather. From the image it looks like it is a Corps of Commisionaires cap badge. They were (are) an organization that employed ex-servicemen in security jobs.
Old 09-09-20, 01:02 PM

Looks like a maple leaf in the middle, with a cross background, with a strap and garter around those
Old 09-09-20, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default An image of the C of C cap badge.

An example of the Corps of Commissionaires badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coprs of commisionaires cap badge.jpg (112.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-09-20, 03:55 PM

Red face

You gents are AMAZING! This is so helpful you can't imagine. I will not research the Corps of Comissaires--thank you!
Old 09-09-20, 08:03 PM

D'oh. In the message above, not = now.

Now, since you've all been so helpful, on this question, I hope some of you may be willing to nip over to the fakes and forgeries forum to help me with the question I've posted there. I'm a little suspicious of a Guards Machine Gun Corps badge I just bought off of Ebay, and wondering if more experienced eyes can tell me if I have cause to be.
Old 09-09-20, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGC View Post
You gents are AMAZING! This is so helpful you can't imagine. I will not research the Corps of Comissaires--thank you!
<sigh>...and Comissaires was supposed to be Commissionaires. Today is not my day for typing. Thanks again.

Tags
british, canada, grenadier, guards, machine gun corps