British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-11-13, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Am so glad that post was deleted.

I don't think the forum needs another member who doesn't bother with the rules or common courtesy.

Bye then.
I was very taken aback by what he posted. I thought he could have reacted with a lot more dignity. Given his avatar though perhaps he is suffering from PTSD. I am too and I know it often makes me act bizarrely and unreasonably.

I wish him all the best. He just didn't find what he was looking for here and that's such a shame. Not the fault of the site or membership though.
Old 24-11-13, 07:07 PM

I am saddened that this thread has descended further in its tone and content and I have asked Phil to post this for me in an effort to bring the matter to a close as I am unable to post. I think the whole thing needs stopping in its tracks before it does any more damage.

I would just like to reassure everybody that what has been stated is news to me! I swear to you all that I don’t know what has gone on or what has been said or by whom, the only contact I have had is with Dave C and Jerry, both members who have no axe to grind.

As far as my participation on the forum, please understand that I have been of a mind to withdraw from it for some time now and the latest incident was just the clincher as I felt that my participation in the hobby was getting out of hand to the detriment of other areas of my life. Please be assured that I hold no grudge against Andy on either a personal or a business level and I sincerely hope that whoever has it in for Andy is not acting in any misguided way on what they think is my behalf.

The public apology I made to Andy was sincere and I hoped that it would be an end to the matter between us. As for me deleting threads and getting banned from the forum I know that to many it will seem churlish but it was my wish to withdraw completely and that meant burning my bridges, which is what I seem to have achieved. I did this so there was no way back for me, Andy’s threat of legal action was a wakeup call and I never want to find myself in that position again, at least not as a result of a hobby!

I know that Andy has not mentioned me by name in his posts but anyone reading them is likely to get the impression that I am behind some sort of campaign to discredit him which of course is definitely not the case.

I of course am no longer able to post anything in my defence and I am grateful to Phil for accepting my request to post this message for me.

Ry
Old 24-11-13, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Am so glad that post was deleted.

I don't think the forum needs another member who doesn't bother with the rules or common courtesy.

Bye then.

[Re: recently deleted post from this thread]

We do from time to time on here and every popular forum get the odd individual pop up that appears to have a head full of barking dogs.

It is worth keeping this in mind as new posters get going, and do not be put off if someone appears to be having a psychotic episode and/or is just trolling for a reaction. They will be removed and then we can carry on with the discussion of military insignia.

Personally I can take that sort of thing in my stride and actually have a laugh about it. Although I must admit if some of these characters are real, and out there walking the streets then it is a bit unnerving. If you can get that abusive on a collecting forum discussion group, what about real life?
Anyway, that aside I understand we are all different and take such 'written abuse' differently, but if I could ask if you could try and consider it as a wind-up, and not get too upset, and of course report such posts by clicking the appropriate button.
Old 24-11-13, 09:33 PM

I find it hard to disagree with what you say Mike. (I'll probably get accused of being a sycophant now)!

I can now hear the sound of barking dogs now and either my 2 Labradors have heard someone at the door or my head is full of barking dogs

Ivan
Old 24-11-13, 10:47 PM

Well! have read this thread from the very beginning "or what now IS! as original deleted" A SHOCK! those still in contact with Ry & dave please give them my best wishes, it would be appreciated and like you all would wish for them to return, I hope it Happens! as with Andy also as the site is the better for all three,s participation! pity we cant roll back time but apologies have been given and accepted so an end! problem is Dave c has said all messages will be trashed, Ry no longer active i hope someone can convince them both to let it blow over! and Return billy
Old 27-11-13, 12:22 AM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Gerard and Badger,
Many thanks for your replies, which are very much appreciated! I think it is time I put my cards very squarely on the table, I joined this Forum on the recommendation of Dave C, who is now as a result of some churlish behaviour reconsidering his whole outlook on collecting! This is very sad in my opinion as that guy who is not only a very dear friend, is probably the most "Genuine" bloke anyone could ever wish to meet!

I do not have any hidden agenda and yes I am now a dealer and like any businessman take whatever opportunity I can to advertise what I have to sell! There are those who out of what I can only perceive as jealousy (?) make every attempt to poke scorn at the website, which I have spent not only a lot of time creating but also a considerable amount of money to set up! Despite the tosh that is being spouted, I do not coerce people into buying items off the site and the only financial benefit to me is that I can sell my items without having to give a pound of of flesh for doing so! This benefit I have shared with anyone who has an item of Militaria to sell "Free if Charge".

My intention was to create an environment in which people could buy and sell genuine items without the pitfalls experienced not only on eBay, but also with auction houses and established Militaria dealers, which has been increasingly worrying in recent times.

I honestly believe that my integrity and values override my business acumen and I would not think twice about replying to a request for help, even if it did not result in a sale! Bad business some might say, but with fast approaching 20,000 transactions over just a few years, I get enjoyment out of not only providing what I believe to be factual information and advice but also the satisfaction that what I do sell is 100% Genuine! There are Forum members who have used my site, to whom I am grateful but who will also confirm that they have sold their items mostly free of charge! There is the option to elevate an advert, but that is optional! I will not hide the fact that it is my aspiration to entice mainstream dealers onto the site, but not out of the desire to make a profit! Any seller or dealer who lists items on Sell My Militaria will do so under the understanding that what they offer for sale will be policed and any dubious items removed or correctly described!

I envisage many more years of Andy offering opinions on aspects British Military Cap Badge collecting, with books and guides not too far in the future, so if you don't like that as a thought, then perhaps you should start collecting stamps or taking up line dancing because I'm certainly not going to change my ways because a few narrow minded individuals or local lynch mobs don't like the way I do business! I do not for one minute go out of my way to intentionally embarrass those who may have added a wonky badge to their collection, rather the complete contrary and I only wish to save them hard earned cash, as I've been there myself and am not selfish in sharing what I have learnt!

In my opinion the Forum is the venue to gain knowledge and my aspiration is to make SMM an environment where you can use that knowledge to buy and sell without pitfalls! If that riles some members, then I can only feel sad that you have not embraced a chance to create an environment which is intended to be an alternative to eBay, dealers and auction houses, all of which appear to have ever increasing horror stories!

There are many of you who regularly buy items from SMM and my eBay listings and I sincerely hope that you are happy with your acquisitions and I am sorry if there are those who think I'm on a continuous sales pitch.... But I probably spend more time contributing views on this Forum than I put into listings! So please, if you don't like what I post add me to your ignore list function, because I'm certainly not going to be intimidated by a few Green Eyed Monsters or Adolescents who cannot handled a touch of confrontation!

Sleep well and in the words of a previous governor of California "I'll be back"

Andy
I'm a bit late on this I'm afraid as my mind and time have been tied up with the realities of work but now having caught up with the thread I would just like to say I'm 100% agree with everything Andy has said in this particular post irrespective of what other may think, Sell my militaria has been a real breath of fresh air having personally experienced disposing of badges through ebay, through a very well known auction house (which was a 9 month nightmare) and through the forum which again can have its ups and downs depending on the manners or on occasion the lack of manners of the persons expressing an interest to purchase.

I look forwards to Andy progressing in the guise of a militaria/badge dealer and wish him the best of luck for the future in his endeavors.

Regards,

M
Old 27-11-13, 05:35 AM
Former Member

M.
Many thanks

Andy
Old 27-11-13, 11:53 AM

I'd like to thank Mike and the other moderators for letting the membership discuss this here. I've stayed with the thread and I can see that it's cleared the air for everyone, except for one poor soul who has left because he doesn't like the calm way the membership here conducts itself.

I do. I'm a recent member and I love the civility. It's a great site with some super guys as members.
Old 28-11-13, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
I'm certainly not going to be intimidated by a few Green Eyed Monsters or Adolescents who cannot handled a touch of confrontation!

and... the occasional rubbing of horns is just that and should be taken lightly,

Andy
Quite right Andy. Disagreements are a part of life; inevitable, even occasionally on this forum.

There are always people who will whine about 'ungentlemanly' behaviour, but this is not the officers mess and although we might all like to be treated as VIPs, in reality that ain't gonna happen. Disputes and disagreements sometimes lead to harsh words and heated threads - this is part of life's everyday experience and the forum shouldn't try to hide from it. We are all human, now let's man up!
Old 28-11-13, 09:39 PM

Although Dave is no longer taking messages through the forum he is still available to contact through his own email. I was a bit unsure if he wanted contact at the moment but after having emailed him I'm sure he would be happy to hear from any of the friends he has made here over the last few years. Regards, Paul.
Old 07-12-13, 04:14 PM

Good grief,
I haven't really been collecting much over the last year or so, and haven't been on the forum as much as I used to be as I haven't really had too many new purchases to show off or queries.
After returning from Bangor earlier with a couple of new badges along with Eddie Parks, I thought I would check in to the forum to see if there was anything of interest. I have to say I was fairly saddened to see such well respected forum members such as Dave and Andy and others considering walking away. I didn't see what the fall out was about, so I can't pass comment on it.
All I can say is hang in there guys. I have made quite a few friends through this forum and learned loads. I might not be such a regular poster now, but I was one of the early members, and have seen it grow into a superb source of shared knowledge and networking.

To paraphrase Gerry Adams - "I haven't gone away you know"

John
Old 07-12-13, 07:01 PM

Default How sad

I have had a break from the forum for the best part of nine months. I read this thread today and now I remember why..........absolutely appalling
Old 15-08-15, 04:09 PM

Blimey seems I have missed a real dust up but what I can say is that often emails are a difficult medium in which to judge the manner in which the message sent . the golden rule is if YOU are annoyed at any comments wait 24 hours to respond because everyone has bad days and I have myself been guilty of getting stroppy over a badge I thought I had bought, that went to some one else . I would suggest that a message is added to the thread when purchasing a badge, before a PM is sent , then a sold notice should go one the item only when payment is received.
I can honestly say that I have had many helping hands since I have joined and guys like Marcus , DaveC and Andy to name a few, have been a great help and fantastic to deal with but more importantly for me I would rather someone told me I had a suspect badge and why, than delude myself . I can only speak personally but no one forces me to buy a badge , the correct price is what ever it sells for on the day.
I would add that I buy from those individuals that I know sell genuine items and so I pay a premium for their knowledge. Finally I am a member of a number of technical institutes and opinions on some issue do differ, but unless backed up by empirical evidence they are just that, an opinion.

all the best
Steve

Last edited by Nobbysr; 15-08-15 at 04:17 PM.