British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-13, 04:51 PM

Thanks Mike, but my point was as regards the thread was that the revolver was way out of date in any Mk by WW1. I knew two chaps who actually carried the Webley and their choice would have been auto like the Germans had. As one said. It has 8 rounds, lucky if I hit with one. Better to have had 9 round clip loaded weapon. I admit the Webley was what was called an automatic revolver; but still tough to load in a fire fight.
The point being, the Brits made a great powerful revolver, I mean one round and you were down; but the Browning was preferred by WW2. And as we don't make an automatic of our own -hence the importation both then and now.

Cheers

Simon.
Old 13-01-13, 12:21 PM

The Glock is a superb handgun. Robust, simple to use, safe to handle, reliable, accurate, a large capacity and any amount of add on accessories available.
It has been the choice of the majority of police forces for a long time now and will finally bring the Army's handgun capability into the 21'st century.
The Browning was good in it's day, as was the Webley, but we have to progress.

Back to cap badges again!

John
Old 13-01-13, 03:52 PM

A useful quote from a previous era - 'It is as useless to anticipate in what quarter of the globe our troops may be next employed as to guess at the tactics, the armament and even the colour of our next enemy. Each new expedition demands special equipment, special methods of supply and special tactical devices and sometimes special armament'.

G F R Henderson, former Director of Military Intelligence, South Africa c.1900.