British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-10, 02:07 PM

Default Was Jack properly dressed?

I looked at youtube the other day and saw they had the first series of the TV drama "When the boat comes in". Having always been a fan I watched it again and looked closely at James Bolam playing Sgt Jack Ford arriving home from service in World War 1.

After several freeze frames, I cannot make up my mind whether his Northumberland Fusilier cap badge is a very shiny pre 1935 or a bi-metal post 1935 badge. The shoulder title has also got me wondering whether it is correct as it looked as though it could have the "Royal" below the grenade.

I would be interested in other peoples thoughts on this subject, difficult as it is to see badges on a moving figure. Generally drama is very factual on the BBC, but the odd howler creeps in, someone spoke of "The Royal Liverpool Regiment" only the other day on, I think on a news programme.
Old 06-02-10, 02:27 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I looked at youtube the other day and saw they had the first series of the TV drama "When the boat comes in". Having always been a fan I watched it again and looked closely at James Bolam playing Sgt Jack Ford arriving home from service in World War 1.

After several freeze frames, I cannot make up my mind whether his Northumberland Fusilier cap badge is a very shiny pre 1935 or a bi-metal post 1935 badge. The shoulder title has also got me wondering whether it is correct as it looked as though it could have the "Royal" below the grenade.

I would be interested in other peoples thoughts on this subject, difficult as it is to see badges on a moving figure. Generally drama is very factual on the BBC, but the odd howler creeps in, someone spoke of "The Royal Liverpool Regiment" only the other day on, I think on a news programme.
I am sure that just like us lot - we don't always get the correct badge etc and neither do the BBC. But when I first saw this series - i.e. when it originally came out, way back, it was the first time there had been an attempt at depicting what it was like during this period - from the poor bloody squaddies perspective. Apart from not showing the slaughter that went on, it was about trying to survive, and from this point of view, I believe that that he and the BBC, did a good job.
For certain, they didn't get the badges spot on, but I remember trying to not miss any of the episodes because I thought it was great drama and yes, the badges and even some of the the equipment was wrong for the period. But, James Bolam did a terrific job, and it was terrific viewing. I thoroughly enjoyed it for its own sake and didn't get at all concerned about anything else.
david
Old 06-02-10, 02:33 PM

Default Was Jack properly dressed?

Watched a Poroit espisode last week- luckily for the world the British PM was saved by a Platoon of The Leicestershire Regt- all wearing the TA cap badge!

More chuckles, Stephen.
Old 06-02-10, 03:07 PM

Sonofa,

Mistakes with the names of regiments is nothing new and includes people who should know better.

Attached are a photo of Pte Williams Allan Morris of the Liverpool Rifles kia 9th April 1917, his picture was framed by his family with a brass plate giving his regiment as "Kings Liverpool Rifles" not a name I have ever seen used elseshere.The brass plate I presume was made during, or at the end of WW1 when you would have thought the names or local regiments/battalions would have been well known.

Secondly a letter to me from the Ministry of Defence in 1986 giving the service details of my grandfather.Its starts off correctly giving his Regiment as the Kings Liverpool Regiment but 4 lines later it is refered to as The Royal Liverpool Regiment

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wrong.jpg (41.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Wrong 2.jpg (77.6 KB, 15 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 06-02-10, 05:44 PM

Default Jack the lad

David, I certainly was a great fan of this series which I eagerly looked forward to every week, James Bolam has always done a good job in his acting and the series I thought was very good at depicting life on Tyneside in the 1920's. It was my curiosity when I looked at the film clip that prompted this thread, my eyesight is not what it used to be!

PB. as usual you come up with some great thumbbails of militaria, it seems to be the most common mistake in putting the word "Royal" in front of every title to a unit, "Royal Suffolk Hussars" instead of "Loyal" is perhaps understandable, but I find it quite annoying when the Cambridge paper refers to the "Royal Cambridgeshire Regt" or the "Royal Suffolk Regiment", certainly the latter was around for a long time and the other formed 102 years ago.
Old 06-02-10, 08:34 PM

A news item last week had the 2nd Royal Welsh Guards in Afghanistan, instead of the '2nd Royal Welsh' so howlers still happen.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 07-02-10, 10:07 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
A news item last week had the 2nd Royal Welsh Guards in Afghanistan, instead of the '2nd Royal Welsh' so howlers still happen.
I also noticed some news recently that mentioned 'The Welsh Cavalry'..
a) I would like to see that particular badge and b) Maybe thats what was required yesterday..........
david
Old 07-02-10, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

That would be the Queen's Dragoon Guards.
Old 07-02-10, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
That would be the Queen's Dragoon Guards.
Alan,
I realised that..., but as the first letter in each word was capitalised, the implication was that it was an actual regiment. I am not sure that the Queen's Dragoon Guards would like to change their name, or do they? Maybe it was supposed to be a rugby joke... Must check with cardiffbloke.