British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-10, 12:33 AM

Keith,
am leaning more towards a 'Hackle Badge'(as 8th Foot suggested) here now. Do we know if these Vol. Regts actually wore them with some specific hat style ?
The reason being,they are very similar to the anodised fixture found on some(all ?)RRF badges (or was it RWF) ??
The closeness of the lugs is similar,to keep the hackle in place, the stud would secure the wire loop at the base & keep the hackle straight & at the right height,etc. And when all is together the lugs would be closer to the centre overall ,making for a balanced item. ??

Cheers !
Steve
Old 06-02-10, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz18 View Post
Keith,
am leaning more towards a 'Hackle Badge'(as 8th Foot suggested) here now. Do we know if these Vol. Regts actually wore them with some specific hat style ?
The reason being,they are very similar to the anodised fixture found on some(all ?)RRF badges (or was it RWF) ??
The closeness of the lugs is similar,to keep the hackle in place, the stud would secure the wire loop at the base & keep the hackle straight & at the right height,etc. And when all is together the lugs would be closer to the centre overall ,making for a balanced item. ??

Cheers !
Steve
Steve,

After all the replies I think maybe a curved feather or something similar may be the answer.

Isn't it great when a mundane question brings thoughts and examples (certainly more than I) expected together to possibly solve something? Boer War or very soon after I think when the slouch hat was in vogue.

My next query this weekend will be the Westminster Dragoons but I think this thread has already answered that one!
Old 06-02-10, 09:52 AM

I agree, a fascinating thread, my own thoughts were vaguely in the direction of pouch badges or slouch hats. (I'm sure, regretably, that the late David Linaker might have had an idea !)

But there is a puzzling reference in the ACD ledgers to the 5th (Irish) VB KLR being allowed to wear the "universal headdress" / "service dress hat" (both official terms for the slouch hat) in 1905 But there is no mention of any badge being worn on it - or not being worn on it !
(I've just spent 10 mins looking for the 'photo I took of the reference but can't find it at the moment !)
Theoretically this should be a KC badge, I don't have one but perhaps any pals who do, might check the reverse !!
I think there is something else in the ACD ledgers about Vols and slouch hats, I'll check next time I'm in Kew.
Old 06-02-10, 11:36 AM

KLR,
Both my 5th V.B.( Lpool Irish ) cap badges, QVC and KC have 2 lugs ( only ) east and west.

Attached is a picture of an NCO of the Liverpool Irish wearing the slouch hat unfortunalty because of the angle of the headdress one cannot say for certain if a badge is being worn on it but it appears not.

As has already been said by Alan the hat was much worn by the V.B`s and also attached are photo`s of 2 mounted officers of the 3rd V.B. K.L.R and a group of soldiers of the Liverpool Scottish.

I also have or have see photographs of this headress worn by Liverpool Institute OTC and Liverpool College OTC.
P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slouch 3.jpg (89.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Slouch 1.jpg (54.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Slouch 2.jpg (62.7 KB, 10 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 06-02-10, 12:05 PM

Hopefully this picture may help on this matter, showing some sort of Hackle in place, I can't identify the Regt though, buttons look like GS under the glass so no clues there, but at least it shows they were worn with this type of hat, all the best, Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img470.jpg (51.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-02-10, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

The Enfield mark would suggest one of the RB Vbs.

The 3rd Essex were in West ham but that is 12miles away.

Alan

Tags
essex vb