British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-02-10, 11:56 AM

Default PLASTIC CAPBADGES LAST USED

HI good morning , was hoping some of you guys could help please ? can any one supply details showing army plastic economy capbadges still been worn post 1946 ?
I have been told by a veteran he was issued an example ( Duke of wellingtons -westriding ) whist serving in Korea 1951 which was a bit of a shock
Any help would be great and a dated photograph even better , would just like to find the last example that can be dated of these type of badges in service for a project of mine , many thanks ,Nemo.
Old 01-02-10, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Nemo,

There are accounts of National servicemen being given plastics well into the 1950s. I don't think this was universla but some regts do seem to have liked them (or perhaps disliked them less) than others. Also the KRRC had a Queens crown plastic badge produced for them and there was no metal version so they would have been wearing them up to 1958.
Old 01-02-10, 08:32 PM

List of Changes and Army Instructions both stated that Badges when superseded other than amalgamations were to be wasted out on a 'Maintenance Basis' and this included things like changes of crown as well as materials and in some cases design changes

Reports of Plastic Badges being worn into the 50's by National Servicemen as well as Regulars, also Brass & Bi-Metal Badges being worn in preferance to Anodised are well founded. As well as 'Victorion' or 'Kings' Crown Crown badges being worn after change of Monarch.

Of course some units dumped the plastic badges when they saw new stocks coming though the system!

i.e. RAOC 1918, 1947 & 1949 patterns where 18' pattern badges were still being worn even after 1953 and change of crown as well!

Note, Different types of materials of a particular badge were held in Ordnance Stores under the same Stock Number so a QM could not demand Brass, Bi-Metal or Plastic by preference!

Wanted Poppy Pins