British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-12-11, 02:01 PM

Default RWAFF and GCTF collars

I hope I'm posting these in the right section. I acquired these 2 collars in a lot which contained a couple of other badges I was after. I am thinking they are officers collars to the Royal West Africa Frontier Force and to the Gold Coast Territorial Force? Any info welcomed Jim
Old 30-12-11, 05:32 PM

Jim you are spot on. For interest I have included a picture of the relevant cap badges. I had recently taken these for a friend who was researching his grandfather who had fought in West (and East) Africa during the First World War. He appears to have had some attachment to the WAFF though he was in the Royal Scots. His war diary is extremely interesting. Short sharp actions and many bouts of ill health.

I am no expert but I believe the WAFF became the RWAFF in 1939/40 (which is your collar) and was disbanded in 1960 with independence.

I also think the GCTF became the 3rd Bn Gold Coast Regiment of the RWAFF until Ghana became independant.

Hope that helps.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WAFF rev 2.jpg (31.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 30-12-11, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
Jim you are spot on. For interest I have included a picture of the relevant cap badges. I had recently taken these for a friend who was researching his grandfather who had fought in West (and East) Africa during the First World War. He appears to have had some attachment to the WAFF though he was in the Royal Scots. His war diary is extremely interesting. Short sharp actions and many bouts of ill health.

I am no expert but I believe the WAFF became the RWAFF in 1939/40 (which is your collar) and was disbanded in 1960 with independence.

I also think the GCTF became the 3rd Bn Gold Coast Regiment of the RWAFF until Ghana became independant.

Hope that helps.

Mark
Hi,

The West African Frontier Force were in existence from 1897-1928, the Royal West African Frontier Force from 1928-1960, and the Gold Coast Territorial Force from 1927-1939.

I hope this helps,

Zob.
Old 31-12-11, 04:31 AM

Thanks Zob, you have certainly cleared up the dates for me and I can now make the correct entry in my diary of 'badge notes'.

Appreciated.
Mark
Old 31-12-11, 09:57 AM

Default RWAFF

And here is the complete article
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_60441.jpg (40.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 31-12-11, 12:29 PM

Thanks alot for all the replies... I am totally out of my depth with these... just goes to show the valuable expertise that exists on this Forum...
Well Done.... Jim
Old 31-12-11, 05:05 PM

Default RWAFF RSLR

This is the collar dog worn by Royal Sierra Leone Regt on Mess Kit. I don't think Collar Dogs were worn on any other form of dress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_6048 copy.jpg (58.8 KB, 22 views)