British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-01-24, 01:17 PM

Default Phot of G San in 1967

Dragging this thread back up to the top with a group photograph of G Squadron, 22 SAS, taken at Hereford in early 1967, and featuring the young Captain Charles Guthrie front row, 4th from left. If you look closely you will see that many, but not all, members of the squadron are wearing the blue-red-blue Household Division flash behind the SAS badge on their berets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSqn67-1.jpg (105.1 KB, 115 views)
Old 14-01-24, 01:44 PM

Also of interest is that in Guards fashion no collar badges are worn except by the WO2 on the front row seated next to Captain Guthrie. He seems to be wearing cloth embroidered crown in wreath rank badges and is perhaps the RQMS? The Squadron Sergeant Major (front row centre) is wearing metal crowns.

Tim
Old 14-01-24, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Also of interest is that in Guards fashion no collar badges are worn except by the WO2 on the front row seated next to Captain Guthrie. He seems to be wearing cloth embroidered crown in wreath rank badges and is perhaps the RQMS? The Squadron Sergeant Major (front row centre) is wearing metal crowns.

Tim
Good point!

You're correct: that is the RQMS. I cut the names off the picture in the interests of security (though it's nearly 60 years old!).

I have a few 22 SAS group photos from this era and this seems to have been around the time when they were transitioning from 'generic' insignia to the SAS dark blue/light blue scheme.
Old 14-01-24, 07:14 PM

Is it my eyes or does the SSM have something on his shoulder straps ?
Old 14-01-24, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Is it my eyes or does the SSM have something on his shoulder straps ?
Yes, possibly Coldstream, Scots or Irish Guards anodised shoulder titles. Looks too small/narrow to be Grenadier (WO2 should wear cloth crowns) or Welsh Guards?

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2171.jpg (42.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2172.jpg (51.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2173.jpg (56.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 19-01-24 at 05:45 PM.
Old 15-01-24, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade-oh View Post
Dragging this thread back up to the top with a group photograph of G Squadron, 22 SAS, taken at Hereford in early 1967, and featuring the young Captain Charles Guthrie front row, 4th from left. If you look closely you will see that many, but not all, members of the squadron are wearing the blue-red-blue Household Division flash behind the SAS badge on their berets.
Still amazes me how many people including Gsqn lads deny this was ever a thing. Could I ask if you have a higher-res version as I'm slowly educating my Instagram followers on this

Tom
Old 15-01-24, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post

Tim
I wonder if the SSM is wearing metal rank crowns whether he's Household Cavalry rather than Guards .
Old 15-01-24, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I wonder if the SSM is wearing metal rank crowns whether he's Household Cavalry rather than Guards .
Yes also possible that he has LG or RHG anodised (or polished brass) shoulder titles.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2174.jpeg (35.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2175.jpeg (62.8 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 15-01-24 at 06:54 PM.
Old 15-01-24, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Still amazes me how many people including Gsqn lads deny this was ever a thing. Could I ask if you have a higher-res version as I'm slowly educating my Instagram followers on this

Tom
I have a marginally better version but the forum seems to be downsizing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSqn67-1-2.jpg (105.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 19-01-24, 06:57 AM

I imagine that the Guards ribbon behind the cap badge was stopped when G squadron started to have non Guards personnel posted in to keep up the numbers, but can anyone confirm that is a safe assumption?
Old 19-01-24, 10:19 AM

Given the portrait of Capt Westmacott and the dates of his time with the Regiment I would suggst not a safe assumption...
Old 19-01-24, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal View Post
Given the portrait of Capt Westmacott and the dates of his time with the Regiment I would suggst not a safe assumption...
Good point, but it’s a portrait rather than a photo. Could the Guards ribbon been added to the portrait as a way of emphasising he was a Guards officer as well as SAS? Artistic licence???

I would assume that non Guardsmen wearing the ribbon backing would be a no-no, so when they joined the squadron you’d end up with a mixture of Guards troopers with the ribbon backing and the others without the backing, so no uniformity and divisive - one solution is to stop it for all?

Capt Westmacott’s SAS service was before the blue-red-blue ribbon was introduced for all Foot Guards units, so it was only the Guards Independent Parachute Company and then G squadron who wore it
Old 21-01-24, 07:53 AM

Absolutely Colin, but its also an assumption and you asked if it was 'safe' to assume the practice stopped when non-Guards started joining G Sqn. My assumption, from this and a few other snippets published and non from people who were there are at the time is that it is not a safe assumption.

I'm also not entirely convinced - from direct experience - that 22 SAS is/was an organisation that is particularly hung up on uniformity at any time, even in more formal forms of dress! One example that springs immediately to mind is a picture of a former CO (at the time a Squadron commander) wearing service dress with his SAS beret but collar dogs from his parent regiment at a Remembrance Parade at Hereford.
Old 21-01-24, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

A friend of mine was a Troop Commander and wore his SAS beret with his full Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders SD with kilt and all. He had a photo on his fridge of him holding his son whilst dressed thus.
Old 06-03-24, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade-oh View Post
I have a marginally better version but the forum seems to be downsizing it.
Fabulous thank you, My apologies for missing this until now.