British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-04-08, 08:52 PM

They're fine mate. The one on the right has a really nice slider just right for the type of badge... I think they way they look on the back is just down to the conditions they've been kept in (maybe on a card on original cap for most of their life). Any definite idea why the one on the left has a hole punched thru the centre? I think its been mounted some how with a nail, which would explain the slider being cut off.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 18-04-08, 08:59 PM
ulsterman

Thanks Luke,

I was sure they were ok but the difference in patinas always had a wee question mark floating in the back of my mind. I assume they must have been mounted for the most of their days. Yes, the one with a hole is part of a number of badges i bought which had their sliders cut off and a small hole punched through them unfortunatlely.

Jonny
Old 18-04-08, 09:12 PM

The slim fit tiger is generally a good sign whereas fat is more often than not bad, I actually like the central one least as it looks too dark for brass like it has almost been blackened/mucked about with, but from the font it looks completely fine as well. Nice badges, well done.

Cheers,

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 18-04-08 at 09:18 PM.
Old 20-06-09, 12:41 AM

Default The Royal Munster Fusiliers Shoulder title Churchill 1426

I have an example of the half size shoulder title that Westlake shows as his number 1426. (Churchill in the title is a mistake)

It is shown below alongside the full size version.

The half size is stamped J.R. Gaunt London which makes me think it is an officer's item or possibly a regimental commission as distinct from a war office issued item.

I have never seen any references to it other than Westlake I have no photos of references to when it was worn, on what and by whom. Has anyone got any information on this item that they would be willing to share please?

thanks

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMF Tiger shoulder titles.jpg (34.3 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 20-06-09 at 02:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 21-06-09, 05:55 PM

Default royal munster fusiliers

hi john, i have 2 small examples both all brass/gilding metal and 2 of the large examples again all brass/gilding metal (all my tigers face left) i have a 3page photocopied document by fergus britton dated 1999, this states between the turn of the century and the onset of the great war 1914 a small (m grenade f) was worn on the khaki drill dress (see fig 4), officers wore a similar sized title, but with a silver tiger on each grenade facing inwards (handed).unlike the o/ranks where the tigers faced only to the left. the officers wore such titles on k.d. epaulettes affixed to their shirts. during the great war a larger version of the "m grenade f" was worn on the khaki drill uniforms (see fig 5). fig 4 is a picture of the small ors & fig 5 is apicture of the large ors. this is the only reference i have been able to find apart from the westlake book, i hope this is helpfull to you regards john
Old 21-06-09, 08:00 PM

John

this is very helpful, thank you very much. Would you tell me please is the Fergus Britton document a published source? I would like to follow it up to complete my own learning.

John
Old 21-06-09, 08:35 PM

Default royal munster fusiliers

hi john, to answer your querie no its not an official sourced document, fergus britton is probably the person who knows the most about the munsters, and the 3 page booklet tells you all the known variations of the munsters shoulder titles and which ones were worn in the sun helmets, pith helmets & the wolesey helmets, its a very well written piece. regards john pm me if you want more
Old 15-07-09, 11:00 PM

Default Munster Cap badge

hi guys
does this badge look ok and what period do you think
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33royalmunster1.jpg (43.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 33royalmunster2.jpg (25.1 KB, 80 views)
Old 15-07-09, 11:33 PM

BC

It looks okay to me. The tiger doesn't have the droopy belly that you see on some repros. The metal looks a bit bright with no patination but that may just be the lighting. The brazing hole and ghost outline of the tiger on the back is the same as on many genuine Munster badges. All in all I give it the thumbs up.

James
Old 16-07-09, 08:28 AM
Former Member

BC,
a thumbs up from me too! You seem to have a genuine badge in 1st class condition. As to the period of wear, I would have a stab at 1914-22, it would have been lugged if a early 1900s badge, there are various opinions on when sliders came into use, but safe to say around WW1 and of course RM Fus were disbanded in 1922.

Andy
Old 14-07-10, 04:58 PM

Picked this badge up yesterday. I haven't handled any grenade badges before and am just wondering if it is genuine. Besides having the long shanked lugs folded over it think it's O.K. but I've had a setback on the confidence level of my ability to spot a good badge so am looking for confirmation that this ones good. Thanks Jim

Last edited by Alan O; 17-09-10 at 01:21 PM.
Old 14-07-10, 05:06 PM
Mr. Jackanory

This badge should always come with a caveat. I remember several of them at aa time in the windows of Denis Henson's shop at the top of the Derby Rd
Matti
Old 14-07-10, 05:27 PM

Jim, look at this thread.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=11096

Regards,
Connaught.
I ahve since purchased what I consider to be a genuine badge from a reputable dealer and will post pics later.

Last edited by connaught; 14-07-10 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added info
Old 17-07-10, 04:00 PM

Heres the one I bought recently,its well polished but I dont mind that as long as its genuine,hopefully some of the more experienced forumites will give an opinion on these.
Regatrds,
Connaught
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1669.jpg (28.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1670.jpg (28.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 17-07-10, 05:34 PM

Here's another link which may be of interest.

John

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=10228

Tags
munsters