British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-08-21, 04:56 PM

Default Challenge coin marking 75th Anniv. Grant of 'Royal' prefix to Royal Military Police

A new addition to my small collection of personal challenge coins, just arrived today. It commemorates the 75th Anniversary of the Granting of the 'Royal' Prefix to the Corps of Royal Military Police in 1947 in recognition of their service during WWII.

It is limited to 500, individually numbered, and comes with a copy of the Order announcing the honour to the Corps in 1947.

This means a lot to me as a late uncle served in the 111th Provost Company through North Africa and Italy, and his work, and that of his colleagues, resulted in this honour. RIP Sgt Harris CMP.

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9029 (2)bb.jpg (42.6 KB, 23 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 06-08-21, 06:28 PM

Respect to the memory of your uncle.
With regards to challenge coins in general, which I had thought an American/Canadian subject, I struggle to understand the attraction in collecting them. They don't have the connection that badges and buttons have- worn by men and women serving there country.
I doubt they get issued at unit level for troops to trade, are they more of a souvenir bought? I guess there must be money in it for the manufacture, like plaques and mugs and other items with regimental insignia. Are they in wide use with UK Forces- if so for how long? I had not heard of them in the early 1990s, Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 06-08-21 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-08-21, 06:49 PM

Yes, challenge coins are indeed big here in he US. When I went on my Normandy Airborne trip with collector Mark Bando and 101st D-Day trooper Donald Burgett I had 101st challenge coins engraved with the tour and presented one to each member in the party. When my oldest granddaughter completed USAF boot camp, the CO presented each graduate with a challenge coin. They make several types of little stands to keep them in. You can see some here.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=challenge..._ts-doa-p_1_22

Terry
Old 06-08-21, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Respect to the memory of your uncle.
With regards to challenge coins in general, which I had thought an American/Canadian subject, I struggle to understand the attraction in collecting them. They don't have the connection that badges and buttons have- worn by men and women serving there country.
I doubt they get issued at unit level for troops to trade, are they more of a souvenir bought? I guess there must be money in it for the manufacture, like plaques and mugs and other items with regimental insignia. Are they in wide use with UK Forces- if so for how long? I had not heard of them in the early 1990s, Regards, Paul.
Hi Paul

If you were a member of the Police Memorabilia Collector's Club you could read the article I wrote on them in the latest issue.

Without rehashing it here I believe the British forces were exposed to the tradition in the Balkans, Iraq, Afghanistan etc., with ex-service personnel thence bringing them to the emergency services.

They serve several functions:

Helping to form an esprit de corps within teams/units.

Recognising exceptional service.

Commemorating fallen brothers/sisters "End Of Watch" coins.

Fund raising for families/related charities, or community projects.

Gifts for visitors/guests to units or conferences.

Souvenirs: the Metropolitan Police, New Scotland Yard, and the City of London Police share a webstore selling force branded goods inc. challenge coins - I recently bought a few to take as traders for a planned trip to the US (Covid permitting).

There are at least 3 Facebook pages for collectors, and it is, at present at least, very much in vogue. I take your point re. badges and personally agree: I don't collect them per se, apart from a few of significance to me - but I would certainly try to get some as souvenirs of places I actually visit.

Sorry this is so brief, but it took me a month to write the actual article - including getting different examples with which to illustrate it - and I'm loathe to do it again.

All the best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 06-08-21, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Yes, challenge coins are indeed big here in he US. When I went on my Normandy Airborne trip with collector Mark Bando and 101st D-Day trooper Donald Burgett I had 101st challenge coins engraved with the tour and presented one to each member in the party. When my oldest granddaughter completed USAF boot camp, the CO presented each graduate with a challenge coin. They make several types of little stands to keep them in. You can see some here.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=challenge..._ts-doa-p_1_22

Terry
Hi Terry

As Ive said in my reply to Paul, there are several Facebook pages for challenge coin collectors, inc. one for UK collectors, and it is definitely very much the in-thing at present. I look out for Scottish Police coins for a French collector of Scottish insignia, whilst also trying to build a stock of traders for a planned trip (C-19 permitting) to the US. They aren't overly big here at present but are HUGE in the US with, as you say, display stands etc. available inc. custom-made.

All the best

Graham
Old 06-08-21, 08:46 PM

Hello Graham, thanks for your reply and info. I may look into (investigate?) the Police Memorabilia Collector's Club. I'm ex RAFP and have some Darby type handcuffs so it could be interesting. Regards, Paul.
Old 09-08-21, 06:48 PM

The only such coins I have, just the two, given to me by a friend who's ex USMC and LAPD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210809_174138~2.jpg (77.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20210809_174144~2.jpg (83.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20210809_174210~2.jpg (89.6 KB, 8 views)