British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-04-20, 07:15 PM

From some googling it does appear that all white shako tufts related to granadia company.
I'm not entirely sure what that means though!
Old 11-04-20, 09:41 PM

It means if you find out his regiment you know his company- as only one company were the grenadier company- who would of originally used grenades. Regards, Paul.
Old 12-04-20, 06:40 AM

This is Depot Battalion. Have several versions in my collection.(Quilted 1861-69 and French 1855-61 Shako patterns) Quite common, and worn when Officers were in the Depots (for several Regts) and also after Officer's were posted, but still did not have all the new insignia from Military Outfitters which of course had to be purchased. these show up all over the Commonwealth as some Officers ended up posted abroad but had to wait some time before their insignia arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjeans View Post
Hi,
I hope that someone can help. I have just discovered this photo of an ancestor from about 1855.

I believe the uniform is from the Crimean war era. The badge isn't very clear but there are some details visible which should help identify the regiment.
Google image searching for several days have revealed plenty of shako badges which are similar, but not identical.
The most likely locations of regiments are:
Dorset (or surrounding counties).
Middlesex.
Kent.

Any clues much appreciated,
James
Old 12-04-20, 09:34 PM

Thanks for this. So I suppose all I can really tell from this badge is that he was likely in training or just posted. Is that right?
Or are the shako plates still unique to different regiments?
The dates you gave for the French shako - is French a style?
Or does it mean he was posted in France?
I ask as I'm pretty sure the image would have been taken in 1855.
Thanks again
Old 13-04-20, 02:52 AM

Google "depot Battalions" quite a bit available online, same with the two patterns of shako I mentioned. that pic does pre date abolition of Coatees so you date with this badge would be about right. Of course there were not exact dates for changes to new uniforms and insignia, depended on where each Regiment was stationed. As mentioned the Depot Battalion shako plates could be worn alongside specific Regt shoulder belt plates, buttons etc. Not much use worrying about plume colours as being any help with your questions. Officer changed Regiments by purchase, changed companies within own Regiment, sometimes a lot of movement occurred. The other suggestions put forward way post date what could be in your image. Several Regiments would be based at each "Depot" . Exact lists are available. Both types I mentioned were worn by Officers arriving here in NZ who had no time or opportunity to order and recive new isignis before departing overseas.
Old 27-04-20, 02:54 PM

Someone has pointed out that the all-white Shako pompom stopped being used in 1846 which means the photo is 10 years older than expected.
This means it can't be the man labelled, or any of his family that I know of.
The most likely man from this date is Henry Sabbage of Bethnal Green. He was born about 1826.
He was very wealthy, and his older brother was definitely in the British Army so there's a connection there.
Henry was also a Cabinet Maker if it's him he could only have been Malitia from 1844-1846.

Tags
army, british, crimean, shako, victorian