British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-10-21, 02:34 PM

Default badges

Hi again Dave,

sorry to hear about your son - just shows that everyone has better things to think about than badges. No one is having a go at you here mate, I started off with badges pretty much the same way as you - buying without doing the research up front and it's a painful way to start but, as Leigh said, every collector has bought duds. I think the best advice everyone is giving you is to take your foot off the gas in terms of buying, find a theme that interests you and your son and get to know people on here who will always help out with advice.

Take care, Mark
Old 02-10-21, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
i would suggest luke h that you read the ebay terms and conditions rather than the pathetic reasons for sale and then you will get to know what your buying rights are, anything fake or counterfeit is a big ebay no no, whatever it is that is being sold , it is all there in the t and c's
I meant your bashing of the seller is tiring.

On 3 threads now you’ve blamed or been rude to them and I cannot see he’s done anything wrong or even untoward.

The line between a fake and reproduction depends a lot on the intent of the seller.

All those badges are in literal sense reproductions. We use the term fake on here to differentiate between original and repro dies. If they’re being sold as originals then you can use the noun ‘fake’.

Type in ‘Van Gogh copy’ on eBay. The many paintings that appear, are these counterfeits and fakes or honest reproductions? I’d suggest if the former eBay need to be reported to Trading Standards for flagrantly breaching their own rules.

Indeed if you search ‘reproduction’ on eBay you get +770,000 results.

I honestly sympathise with your position, we’ve all been there as collectors to some extent. The best thing to do is put this down to experience, regroup and come back better. Good luck with your returns.
Old 02-10-21, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
i must apologize as well been a stressful time, I have an autistic 16 y.o. lad who is obsessed with lego and dr who and I thought it might be good to get him interested in certain other things like badge collecting as he has shown interest in the wars but finding out all I had was a bag full of fakes blew that out of the water add to that he got run down crossing the road outside his college yesterday and spent until 2 am in the hospital I am not in the best of moods today although that isn't an excuse really.
anyway, when I initiated the returns the seller cut off communication and requested eBay to decide if I should be refunded and eBay found in my favour as it has an anti-fake policy, I suppose if the ad isn't worded correctly then you have grounds for a refund
I’m sorry to hear that Dave.

PM me your address and I’ll send you some badges for your lad.
Old 02-10-21, 02:54 PM

thank you all .
i think now that that side of things are being resolved and having learnt quite a few lessons it is time to move on and try to find items that would be a pleasure to own, this forum is a great resource
Old 02-10-21, 02:55 PM

Default badges

Great suggestion that Luke - same here...

Mark
Old 02-10-21, 05:15 PM

Ditto

I have a shed load of Hertfordshire Regiment cap badges plus a few others. Let me know by pm where to send them.
Old 02-10-21, 05:41 PM

Talking

i think we have had some crossed wires on this thread and some open and frank comments but hopefully all resolved now. I would like also to add to Lukes great offer of some genuine (i think) badges along with Mark and Nozzer. PM your address and i will forward something from my spares box.

keep smiling, Dave.
Old 02-10-21, 07:19 PM

Thank you all for your lovely offers, it will be greatly appreciated and I have pm'd you all.
Many thanks.
Old 02-10-21, 08:12 PM

Dave:

I sincerely hope your son is well and recovering from the accident.

Ditto from me re badges for him....................not for you, for him.

Regards.

Brian
Old 02-10-21, 08:40 PM

Thanks Brian