British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-01-22, 09:05 PM

Default Unknown National Service Machining Badge

Hi all,

I bought this lapel badge a while ago and to date I've not been able to find out exactly what it is, can anyone help?

It's roughly 29mm high and 21mm wide, and has the makers mark 'Thomas Fattorini Ltd Regents Street Birmingham' on the back as well as the serial number '64'.

My best guess is that it's a WW2-era badge made for civilian workers at a company to show that they were either in a reserved occupation or contributing towards the war effort. I think that the stag is a company logo, but I don't think that it's for a company with the name 'Machining Limited' or 'National Service Machining Limited' as they're such generic terms (These generic terms haven't helped google searching either).

Does anyone have any ideas about what it could be, or could shed any light on it's age or origin? Many thanks for your time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg National_Service_Machining.jpg (53.8 KB, 66 views)
Old 27-01-22, 10:24 PM

The symbol of "The Hart Lodged" is associated with Hertfordshire so possibly a company in that county. Looks WW2-ish to me.
Old 27-01-22, 10:36 PM

Hi

Fattorini's "eye shaped" address makes this from the late 30's onwards. Also the number "64" is unserifed. Most older badges (WW1) seem to have mostly used a serifed font.
Old 29-01-22, 09:54 AM

Thank you for your replies, I had the feeling that it was WW2 era but this proves that. I'll have to keep searching to find its exact origin though, but thanks for your help!