British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-10-11, 09:45 PM

Question Royla Scots Fusiliers pipers feather bonnet badge

Hi all,

A curious one for your comments if you will please. I believe the badge to be a pipers feather bonnet badge to the 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers worn for a long period according to Bloomer, 1881-1960.

The badge is a cast white metal two piece badge with wires securing the two pieces together and copper lugs.

According to Gaylor these were in heavy silver plate and I would imagine hallmarked silver ones would have been worn as well.

So my question is did a piper have this theatre made as a copy/replacement and would they have made it in two pieces as this seems a lot of trouble to go to for a restrike.

Anyway it is a substantial badge and I look forward to your comments, cheers Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inf.2.f.jpg (65.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg inf.2.r.jpg (64.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-10-11, 07:37 AM

Hello,
Most of the ones I have seen have be the same as your ie, roughly cast in a heavy white metal and not too pretty on the back. It is possible that they may have been plated at one time.
I have seen examples in old badge collections etc so they are original as worn.
You might be interested to know that not oly were these badges worn in the Glengarry bonnett [with a Blackcock feather], but they were also worn on the Piper's Baldric belt above the buckle, below the buckle a Prince of Wales plume badge was worn.
Regards,
Stewart
Old 07-10-11, 02:28 PM

Smile Many thanks for information on RSF Pipers badge

Many thanks Stewart for the very useful input and guidance here. I really appreicate it - you never know until you ask. I will add the badge to the collection and the information you have kindly provided to the caption in my Variant Infantry album.

Cheers Dean.

Tags
pipers badge, royal scots fusiliers