British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-09-08, 06:30 PM

Default M.s.o b.a.o.r staybrite cap badge

Hi Guys,
Heres a badge open to opinion wether it should be included in the staybrite web pages.It is the cap badge to the Mixed Services Organisation B.A.O.R. This badge was made by removing the E.R 11 cypher from an ordinary R.C.T staybrite badge and placing on top of the badge the M.S.O B.A.O.R brass disc on top (as can be seen on the piccy).Incidentally this badge is not listed in Peter's book "collecting anodised badges" . I beleive the M.S.O'S were mainly Czech's & Poles working for the M.O.D in Germany as drivers etc, hence the unusual badge.I do not know if they had M.O.D approval to wear this badge?Your opinion wether this badge should be included in Hagwalthers Web pages would be appreciated.
Regards.
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0383.jpg (56.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 22-09-08, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbrits View Post
Hi Guys,
Heres a badge open to opinion wether it should be included in the staybrite web pages.It is the cap badge to the Mixed Services Organisation B.A.O.R. This badge was made by removing the E.R 11 cypher from an ordinary R.C.T staybrite badge and placing on top of the badge the M.S.O B.A.O.R brass disc on top (as can be seen on the piccy).Incidentally this badge is not listed in Peter's book "collecting anodised badges" . I beleive the M.S.O'S were mainly Czech's & Poles working for the M.O.D in Germany as drivers etc, hence the unusual badge.I do not know if they had M.O.D approval to wear this badge?Your opinion wether this badge should be included in Hagwalthers Web pages would be appreciated.
Regards.
Colin
Hi Colin,

Thanks for posting it here.

I'd be keen to know more about this too but I would be tempted to classify it as a hybrid badge due to it's mix of both anodised aluminium and brass materials.

Regards

Chris
Old 24-09-08, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Regards.
Colin

Colin,
Nice, a rare beast I reckon. I remember seeing the larger all brass disc with the MSO motiff on but not this version. I do remember them all being little Polish old boys with bushy black moustaches driving the old 'Mighty Antar' tank transporters! That would have been mid 80's . Anyone know much more about this badge ................. and who has a spare one!

Regards all

Bess
Old 25-09-08, 04:38 PM

Hi Bess,
Yes I guess it's a fairly scarce badge. Do you & other forum members think that should be included in Hagwalthers web pages he is working on?
Regards.
Colin
Old 25-09-08, 08:16 PM

Hi Guys,

I've no problem adding it but would be tempted to start up a hybrid page to hold items such as this.

To add to this could be othere like the Lowland Brigade version with an non anodised cross and a few others which escape my thoughts for now.

This is a classification that I have penciled in for my book so sure, why not start it up now.

Regards

Chris
Old 25-09-08, 09:02 PM

Hello Chris,
Great effort! During the period that brigade cap badges were worn, regiments were differentiated by their collar badges. Perhaps these could be included in any publication you might produce. I had a relatively complete set of collar badges at one point in the distant past. now unfortunately dispersed.
Wyn

Last edited by Wyn vdSchee; 25-09-08 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Spelling, layout.
Old 25-09-08, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn vdSchee View Post
Hi during the period that brigade cap badges were worn, regiments were differentiated by their collar badges. Perhaps these could be included in any publication you might produce.
Wyn
Thanks Wyn,

But I don't think I could cope as I know abosolutely nothing about collar badges what so ever. The more I scratch at the surface of any aspect of anodised cap badge the more that unknown entities emerge.

This weekend I shall be trying to identify the era and makers of anodised badges that have no makers marks which seem to have a common trait within the ones I own.

It has been suggested though that I include arm shields (again, I know nothing about them at the moment) which maybe an easier undertaking.

Regards

Chris
Old 26-09-08, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Hi Bess,
Yes I guess it's a fairly scarce badge. Do you & other forum members think that should be included in Hagwalthers web pages he is working on?
Regards.
Colin
Colin, I would probably say yes, because its so unusual and produced from the usual RCT A/A badge. However I know that Chris is trying to keep a grip on his Anodised badge project! I would be really interested to know where they were made. I'm assuming a regular RCT badge was 'doctored' and the small disc affixed over the centre. Were these proffessionally manufactured, or made up in a Q stores somewhere in BAOR? Anyone know?

Regards all

Bess
Old 26-09-08, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Colin, I would probably say yes, because its so unusual and produced from the usual RCT A/A badge. However I know that Chris is trying to keep a grip on his Anodised badge project!
Thanks Bess,

I am pretty busy at the moment now that the Full Bore Target Shooting season has started up again down here in New Zealand so most Saturdays you will now find me on the rifle range rather than over a magnifying lens in front of my scanner and computer notes. Also, I have my German combat badge interests to keep up looking out for the rare early hollowback items.

But I can start up a hybrid anodised page no problem so if we have good scans (preferably) or good photos with a white background send them on preferably to:

hagwalther AT gmail DOT com

Regards

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 26-09-08 at 11:05 AM.
Old 26-09-08, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Regards.
Colin
You may like to go here;

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=100
Old 26-09-08, 05:17 PM

Default M.S.O staybrites

HI 54Bty ,
Thanks for those great album piccys,that certainly answers a few questions in Bess's previous thread on how they came to be made and by whom. They must be fairly scarce badges , I for one have certainly never seen the R.E.M.E one before or the first version M.S.O R.C.T. looks like even more badges to track down!
Regards All.
Colin
Old 29-09-08, 06:15 AM

Hi Guys,

New badge on the Yeomanry page being the

Y46 - Denbighshire Yeomanry (Inscribed 'Caernarvon & Denbigh Yeo')

followed by a new web page for Hybrids at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/hagwalth...y=tuvJXA78i0w#

with the first entry of:

H1 - Mixed Services Organisation B.A.O.R.

As per usual, click on the image for a larger view.

I'm also looking for the hybrid versions here of the Highland and Lowland Brigades that came with a non anodised 'X' - would be nice to have a hybrid version as opposed to the full anodised version.

Regards

Chris
Old 04-10-08, 04:00 PM

Default Unusual fitting on anodised badge

Picked the attached up at the very pleasant Military Hearldry Society meeting at Holmes Chapel this afternoon.
A Kings Regt anodised cap badge but with 2 blade fastening to the rear, I was told it was made to be worn on the side cap to stop the badge moving about, which sounds plausible, but I have never seen another example of this fastening on an anodised badge before, has anyone else ??

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8856.jpg (45.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8854.jpg (55.7 KB, 6 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 04-10-08, 05:02 PM
peter616

Default Rare ANODISED badge

this is the rare anodised cap badge to the 1st Rifle Volunteers
Royal Devon Yeomanry made by J.R Gaunt London LTD

Peter

1st Rifle Volunteers ROYAL DEVON YEOMANRY.JPG
Old 04-10-08, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Picked the attached up at the very pleasant Military Hearldry Society meeting at Holmes Chapel this afternoon.
A Kings Regt anodised cap badge but with 2 blade fastening to the rear, I was told it was made to be worn on the side cap to stop the badge moving about, which sounds plausible, but I have never seen another example of this fastening on an anodised badge before, has anyone else ??

P.B.
Hi mate,
This looks like one of a large set commercially produced for the collectors market. They came in sets of 6 badges (I think) on a small black velvet boards (about half A4 size) and number about a dozen or so boards. All the badges have the vertical double blade fixing on the rear. I'm not sure who they are produced by. I want to say Firmins but not sure about that. Again not sure of date . . . . 80's I would guess.

Regards to all

Bess

Tags
anodised, staybrite