British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-04-14, 07:26 AM

Hello Iain,
I like the middle example with it's green backing, looks like it's original to the particular badge from looking at the photograph, worn too, I don't think that I've seen an example shaped to the badge before, they are normally rectangular.
Very nice, is there a story behind this one?
Kind regards Frank
Old 24-04-14, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Brian
Have to disagree.... CTH definitely wore badges on the Border and they were painted black for the time up North. It's quite possible NMR did the same thing.
Cheers,
Alex
Alex

I would like to see proof of this, I spent 3 months at Rundu which was a big base and never once saw any unit badges except rank. We once had a group of Omega Bushmen stop over for a day or two and they had their odd hat with unique badge but that is the only time I recall seeing a headress badge.

Brian

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 24-04-14 at 10:02 AM.
Old 24-04-14, 11:39 AM

Hi Brian, you can look at 648,649 and 1963 in my book. Regards Andrew
Old 24-04-14, 04:45 PM

Hi Frank,

it's certainly an original backing, sadly, I dont have a story behind it. Rather macabre though, there is a hair attached to the backing.

kind regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Iain,
I like the middle example with it's green backing, looks like it's original to the particular badge from looking at the photograph, worn too, I don't think that I've seen an example shaped to the badge before, they are normally rectangular.
Very nice, is there a story behind this one?
Kind regards Frank
Old 24-04-14, 08:05 PM

A hair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Frank,

it's certainly an original backing, sadly, I dont have a story behind it. Rather macabre though, there is a hair attached to the backing.

kind regards, Iain
Old 25-04-14, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Alex

I would like to see proof of this, I spent 3 months at Rundu which was a big base and never once saw any unit badges except rank. We once had a group of Omega Bushmen stop over for a day or two and they had their odd hat with unique badge but that is the only time I recall seeing a headress badge.

Brian
Hi Brian
Sorry, should have been more specific, the blackened badges I have were collars, not headdress badges. I think they also blackened titles as well and there was even a special Drum Majors badge made on nutria for the trip up North. I was told the guys were instructed to paint the badges themselves, they weren't issued blackened. I don't know if the blackened badges were only for the band or for the whole regiment, but even if it was just for the band, there is no reason why NMR wouldn't have done the same for their band. I also don't know if they were issued with extra badges to be painted or were just expected to paint their own badges and then remove it with thinners on their return. I have played in the bands of bboth units, so I know they deployed with them when they went to the Border. I know a couple of the old guys from NMR who may have been there so I'll ask them when I see them.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02863.jpg (53.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02872.jpg (118.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 25-04-14, 09:42 AM

Yes, presumably, the original owner had had a haircut at some stage as its about 1cm long, and some how a the piece manage to get between his beret and the badge backing. I dont want to take it off for some reason?

Quote:
A hair?
Old 25-04-14, 08:05 PM

LOL Iain,
I don't think it to be an issue, nor, do I think it is "macabre" either, I often find the odd example in my bath, but, I am not fastidious, I dare say it would be one of mine, have you had this particular one examined by a forensic expert?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Yes, presumably, the original owner had had a haircut at some stage as its about 1cm long, and some how a the piece manage to get between his beret and the badge backing. I dont want to take it off for some reason?
Old 25-04-14, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Brian
Sorry, should have been more specific, the blackened badges I have were collars, not headdress badges. I think they also blackened titles as well and there was even a special Drum Majors badge made on nutria for the trip up North. I was told the guys were instructed to paint the badges themselves, they weren't issued blackened. I don't know if the blackened badges were only for the band or for the whole regiment, but even if it was just for the band, there is no reason why NMR wouldn't have done the same for their band. I also don't know if they were issued with extra badges to be painted or were just expected to paint their own badges and then remove it with thinners on their return. I have played in the bands of bboth units, so I know they deployed with them when they went to the Border. I know a couple of the old guys from NMR who may have been there so I'll ask them when I see them.
Cheers,
Alex
Alex

The problem I have is that the only place one wore collar badges were on the "stepout" jacket or older "bunny" jacket and unit badges worn on berets/caps. Standard dress on the Border was "browns" with no collar badges and no badges on bush hats, it is of course possible for the band members to have taken dress uniform but where and when would they have worn them? Definately not on patrol or on over border attacks. No one went on Patrol wearing berets or caps.

I would be interested to find out more please do follow up with the NMR guys.

I feel these blackened badges were from the WW2 era.

Regards
Brian

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 25-04-14 at 10:24 PM.
Old 26-04-14, 02:33 PM

Already posted on another thread in this forum: a black beret with the SATC beret badge but also the flash of the NMR: quite an interesting combination, as one would think that even as tank troops, the NMR would have retained their own badge?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NMR_Beret_1.jpg (33.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg NMR_Beret_3.jpg (56.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg NMR_Beret_4.jpg (40.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 26-04-14, 03:19 PM

"Bunny"
Please explain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Alex

The problem I have is that the only place one wore collar badges were on the "stepout" jacket or older "bunny" jacket and unit badges worn on berets/caps. Standard dress on the Border was "browns" with no collar badges and no badges on bush hats, it is of course possible for the band members to have taken dress uniform but where and when would they have worn them? Definately not on patrol or on over border attacks. No one went on Patrol wearing berets or caps.

I would be interested to find out more please do follow up with the NMR guys.

I feel these blackened badges were from the WW2 era.

Regards
Brian
Old 26-04-14, 04:39 PM

The term "Bunny Jacket" refers to the battledress blouse. Post WW2 the type in the attached photo was worn up to the 1960s/ early 70s by SA troops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bunny jacket SAE 1960s - 1970s.jpg (48.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 26-04-14, 04:41 PM

Hello Dudley,
Many thanks, but I'm still a little confused, why "bunny" jacket?
Kind regards Frank
Old 26-04-14, 08:01 PM

Frank

It is just one of those many names or terms that were passed down from generation to generation in the service. We still referred to Landrovers as "garries", if you got the shyts it was "gypo guts", if you were lazy you were a "gypogat" (as useful as an arabs @rsehole) etc most definately not PC by todays standards. Many originated "up North" during WW2 or even before that. During the SADF era many more were created based mainly on the Afrikaans language (or should I say the worst of it, they have a unique way of expressing themselves....very funny as long as you are not at the receiving end on it )

I surppose in todays modern SANDF many of these Colonial era terms have disappeared?

Brian
Old 27-04-14, 02:59 PM

Frank,

I actually suspect the previous owner was brutally murdered; The hair is the only link I have to the owner and so I am loath to part with it

Quote:
LOL Iain,
I don't think it to be an issue, nor, do I think it is "macabre" either, I often find the odd example in my bath, but, I am not fastidious, I dare say it would be one of mine, have you had this particular one examined by a forensic expert?
Regards Frank