British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-09-20, 02:25 PM

Default 20th Indian Division

Hi,
The attached picture shows some formation signs I have bought from a local auction. From a letter with them they appear to belong to a Chaplain called James CM Jack attached to the Cameronians (The letter refers to the theft of the Reverends gramophone and is from a Magistrate in Lucknow).
My question is, for that division does the set look complete? Should I be looking for any other insignia? Any idea what the Cambridge University title is for? I guess OTC maybe?
Many thanks in advance, Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200922_151533.jpg (64.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 22-09-20, 04:09 PM

I don't understand what you mean by complete, but those are very nice matched pairs of two different versions of the divisional formation signs, and three Allied land forces south east asia signs. They would not have been worn together however. These may have been worn after service with the 20th Div.
Nice rifles blackened rank crowns as well, and chaplain rank stars. I would carefully remove the staples from the woven badge on the paper. They are rusting and will continue to damage the sign.

CB
Old 22-09-20, 06:43 PM

Hi CB,
You've answered what I was after - I wasn't sure if they were all contemporary or indicated different theatres etc...
The little pamphlet appears to be a rough handwritten draft of a later history which was published after the war, I wonder if the Reverend wrote it? And more importantly...who would steal a Reverends gramaphone!!
Thanks Gary
Old 22-09-20, 06:46 PM

I wonder if the reverend stapled the badge to the pamphlet? I'd leave it attached as is.
Old 22-09-20, 07:46 PM

Default Cambridge University title

I think the Cambridge University title may be to do with the Cambridge University Air Training Corps.

Rob
Old 22-09-20, 07:53 PM

Hi Rob,
Many thanks, I did do a search online, albeit limited, but found nothing, so that gives me a starter now
Gary