British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-10-20, 07:55 PM

Default Middlesex Regiment 7th/8th/9th Bn. OSD badge

Gents,
Can anyone shed any light on this badge I have in my collection? It’s not the usual pattern of OSD cap/collar badge. For info it’s fitted with blades. Any help appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 563D5CC9-FA3D-4D6B-BA52-6AD53B080671.jpg (104.8 KB, 102 views)
Old 17-10-20, 10:16 PM

Greetings Diehard.

Interesting item

I have never seen one like this and unless I'm very much mistaken, I believe it is a fantasy item.

My reasoning for this is that in 1908 when Rifle Volunteer units became, in the main, Volunteer Battalions of Regular Regiments, the 2nd Middlesex RVs provided a number of Officers and other ranks to become the 10th Battalion Middlesex Regiment.

Your badge, appears from the front, to be a 10th Battalion item, as indicated by the blank/erased/altered scroll, which if it were a 7th/8th/9th battalion would show the South Africa connection on the scroll.

When the 10th was formed, although a number of men from the old 2nd Middlesex RVs had served in South Africa in The Boer War, the new Battalion, (10th) was not allowed to show this distinction on their cap badges.

Therefore, there should not be a South Africa scroll attached to this item.

Would it be possible to show a picture of the reverse please, top see how this additional scroll is fixed.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Brian
Old 18-10-20, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
Greetings Diehard.

Interesting item

I have never seen one like this and unless I'm very much mistaken, I believe it is a fantasy item.

My reasoning for this is that in 1908 when Rifle Volunteer units became, in the main, Volunteer Battalions of Regular Regiments, the 2nd Middlesex RVs provided a number of Officers and other ranks to become the 10th Battalion Middlesex Regiment.

Your badge, appears from the front, to be a 10th Battalion item, as indicated by the blank/erased/altered scroll, which if it were a 7th/8th/9th battalion would show the South Africa connection on the scroll.

When the 10th was formed, although a number of men from the old 2nd Middlesex RVs had served in South Africa in The Boer War, the new Battalion, (10th) was not allowed to show this distinction on their cap badges.

Would it be possible to show a picture of the reverse please, top see how this additional scroll is fixed.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Brian
Hi Diehard
I agree with all Brian has said, a fantasy badge as far as I’m aware .

Gerard
Old 18-10-20, 10:43 AM

Default Middlesex Regiment 7th/8th/9th Bn. OSD badge

It doesn't look like an OSD finish to me, the bottom scroll looks poorly attached.

Rob
Old 18-10-20, 03:16 PM

I think it’s a post 1905 2nd Volunteer Btn. Mainly based on the fact I’ve yet to see any other 2VB Badge to date.
Old 18-10-20, 03:23 PM

Rob: I agree with you, not Officers' quality.

Keith: Good call m'boy.................could be......you are not alone in searching for evidence of a 2nd VB badge.

Regards.

Brian
Old 18-10-20, 05:17 PM

Hi Brian
I should have added, I have a brooched one, not something normally associated with a fantasy badge. The 2VB theory is just my take on it, they pop up from time to time like most VB’s and unlike real fantasy items like the footballers.
Old 18-10-20, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Greetings Diehard.

Interesting item

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Brian
80CAD6CF-18D1-43E6-9791-6B47E296F609.jpg

Brian - hope this helps. I’ve had this badge for about 40 years now is that’s relevant at all.
Old 20-10-20, 08:46 AM

Chaps, this is the back of the badge - does this help at all? I guess it confirms the badge hasn’t had the additional scroll applied subsequently and appears integral to the badge. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

BE4BE32C-8B06-49EE-B6B0-680A1F07355F.jpg
Old 20-10-20, 08:45 PM

Greetings again.

Well..................not sure what to say now.

Very obviously a one piece item and unusual, to say the least.

Perhaps Keith may be able to assist as to whether or not his brooched item is a similar/same construction.

What I will add though, is that the construction, flat reverse and lack of detail thereon, is very reminiscent to many Sweetheart brooches; however I'm not saying that this a falls into that category.

Apologies that I can't add anything else to assist at the moment.

Regards.

Brian
Old 20-10-20, 10:46 PM

It is unusual and somewhat crude, along with the blades, which are usually associated with OSD badges, which it is not.

CB
Old 21-10-20, 09:06 PM

The plot thickens ... my mate sent me these images from an auction catalogue from a few years back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EAF18CFC-3B1C-4431-B59A-C96AA33FA898.jpeg (18.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 22-10-20, 07:22 AM

There was a similar lot in DNW’s auction e few weeks ago.
Old 22-10-20, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
There was a similar lot in DNW’s auction e few weeks ago.
There was indeed, 20th August, Lot 724; I have found the picture I kept of them, there were 2 and they sold for £130.

Still none the wiser though.

Regards.

Brian
Old 22-10-20, 09:20 PM

Quote:
There was indeed, 20th August, Lot 724; I have found the picture I kept of them, there were 2 and they sold for £130.

Still none the wiser though.

Regards.

Brian
I'll look at the back of mine when I can, I'm overseas right now for a couple of weeks.