British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-08, 04:38 PM

Default A CEF badge query

I have had this 39th Bn CEF badge in my collection for many yrs, & it actually came to me with the officer's medals.

I don't collect CEF badges but I understand its a rather scarce varient of the 'normal' 39th Bn badge - ie; the scroll below the badge logo which is not present on the 'normal' variety.

What I wanted to ask of the CEF collectors is what do they think of this badge? What would you estimate its rarity? kind of value would you estimate it at?

The badge reverse has tang mounts as shown in the photo.

thanks in advance,

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39th Bn CEF badge rev.jpg (79.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 39th Bn CEF badge.jpg (95.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-02-08, 12:01 AM

I think it's a great badge (one I do not have.....but would like to). With the separately attached banner, I think it is most likely a officers private purchase late war badge, maybe even post war. Charlton's Guide "price" is a bit high for this badge but I would love to have in my collection. If it is your intension to sell the badge plases let me know.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 07-02-08, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Default Some thoughts ...

This badge poses some questions for the CEF collector. The standard reference catalogues list the badge (Charlton and Babin), but they are not conclusive as to the provenance. Charlton suggests that the badge may be militia period, 1920-1936. And, there appear to be at least two completely different dies of this badge. (See the image posted and compare with the image in Charlton. Note the "open" 3 and the 3 with the balled ends within the numeral.)
Further, there is a third pattern of 39th Bn badge with a beaver and scroll beneath. The latter are indicated to be very scarce.
The 39th Battalion was reduced to nil strength on January 4, 1917, so it is not likely to be a late war badge.
Old 07-02-08, 07:35 PM

Thanks Greg & Bill for yr responses. I dont have a Charleton or Babin as I am not a CEF badge collector, so be interested to know what value(s) they might put on this badge.

The scroll at the base of the badge is definitely part of the badge (ie: not attached later aftert the badge was struck) altho it has become parted on the left side where the scrooll joins up with the maple leaf.

The 39th Bn never saw active service, it was broken up in UK to reinforce other Ontario Bns.

Bryan
Old 07-02-08, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default Valuation

Setting a value on a badge like this is very difficult. The Charlton book is now nearly 15 years old. Values in it are guidelines, but they are also outdated. Some badges have increased in value since the guide was released, some have decreased. The "value" is really set by the demand for the item. In the last couple of years the average CEF badge has increased in value, but for the rare badges the demand is variable. Most collectors seem to be after the Corps battalions, not so much the variations and non-front line units.
Perhaps the best approach is to contact some of the reputable Canadian dealers, like Marway, Ursual, Grimshaw, Hoare, etc and ask their opinion. A rare badge like the one illustrated does not hit the market frequently, and they may be in a better situation to estimate the value.
Old 19-02-08, 10:50 PM
Banned

Your badge has been noted in photo evidence as an officer only cef period
badge also worn later, but the folding tangs are diagnostic as WW1 PERIOD.
As for value a fair market price would be 350.00 and that could certainly rise these days to as much as 600.00 with the upward value spiral. hope this helps

PAUL
Old 23-02-08, 07:42 PM

Thank you Paul, yr figures tally with those I have rec'd from other collectors that I have shown the badge to, I dont texpect the badge is excessively rare but certainly its not seen frrequently.

Bryan

Last edited by RCN; 23-02-08 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spell