British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-01-12, 07:46 PM

Default RM Portsmouth band cap badge

Could I have some opinions on this Royal Marines Portsmouth Band cap badge please guys.It looks ok to me but I know these are faked and as I've never seen a fake compared to an authentic one I'd appreciate some guidance,many thanks,

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg portsmouth band badge 1.jpg (25.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg portsmouth band badge 2.jpg (56.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 23-01-12, 02:06 AM

Hi,

I dont like the look of a few of the RM and other badges this dealer has, personally. I can't say for sure on the band one though as , like you, i've never been able to compare a known genuine badge.

Phil
Old 23-01-12, 03:58 PM

Paul

I am at work until Thursday and can't open pics on my works system. I will post a few pics of Genuine RM Portsmouth Band badges (they were obtained from Naval Stores) later this week when I get home.

Paddy
Old 24-01-12, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the reply guys,and I look forward to seeing the pics Paddy,incidentally,I just recieved a RM K/C pouch badge and I'd appreciate it if you could have a look at it for me as I'm not entirely convinced as to its authenticity,I'll post a new thread tomorrow,all the best,

Paul
Old 25-01-12, 05:07 AM

Hi Paul,
If you go to Paddy's album and look at his Royal Marines Band Service album
he has a front and back on a KC/pouch badge on there. Mine is the same as Paddy's which is strengthened at the back. I had a look at my Portsmouth Band badge which came off the Royal Yacht it only has three wire loops holding the cypher but this badge is now years old. And the manufacturing of this badge may well of changed and so Paddy's pictures will be the best to go by.
John
Old 25-01-12, 01:18 PM

Thanks for that John,I checked the one in Paddys album and there are a number of differences.I'll post the pics and explain.Cheers,

Paul
Old 26-01-12, 09:43 PM

Paul

I've posted a few pics below of some of the Portsmouth badges I have. The first 2 pics are of a badge that was obtained from Naval Stores in approx 2005. As you can see it is the newer gilded metal type badge and is stamped F&S on the rear. I believe this style is the more modern badge and is quite different from the one you have shown. I have also shown front and back pictures of a Portsmouth badge I obtained a year or 2 ago from a respected dealer and I believe it is genuine. The grenade part of the badge is very similar in construction to the one you have pictured (except mine has a QC above the GVR cypher which is believed to have been issued by mistake and then subsequently withdrawn as it should have a KC above the GVR cypher) and I think these are the older type which were issued before the advent of the new shiney gilt badges. I have also attached a picture of the front and back of another grenade which I believe to be even older still. Personally I like your badge more than I dislike it if that is of any use to you.

Paddy
Old 27-01-12, 03:25 PM

Default QC Cypher

Afternoon Paddy et al
I was told the QC Cypher on the badge was for a one-off special occasion. Memory is failing but I believe it was a special trip overseas with royalty
Does that ring any bells with anyone?
Ray
Old 27-01-12, 03:48 PM

Hi Ray
There is a small article written by Major Donald RM who at the time was the Corps Historian.
He states that after HM The Queen came to the throne a further stock of badges was required. When these were delivered it was notice that the crown
over the "GVR" had been changed to a St Edwards Crown. No badges were issued to the band but one was kept by the Royal Marines Museum.

John
Old 27-01-12, 03:52 PM

Thanks for posting those pics paddy,I did notice the similarity between the Q/C version in your album and the one I posted,someone has suggested it may be an 1980's era badge.Out of interest,do you know roughly the average dealer price for one of these?Thanks again for your help,

Paul