British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-07-20, 03:01 PM

Default Exactly how were cap badges constructed ??

Hello folks
I've spent a while searching both here and the web generally but can find nothing that describes exacvtly how cap badges (collars also) were actually manufactured prior to the Staybrite era.

Film would be fantastic,a lengthy written description of the process from sheet metal to finished product would be great even a hint would be good...its one of those great conundrums...i can find untold references to the angle of the feathers on certain badges but no description of the basic process of making one

The reason i ask is that i picked these up today which got me thinking,particularly with regard to the perforations, i dont doubt these are genuine....whether genuine fake or genuine genuine....i'm still intrigued as to the process

Any help or pointers elsewhere most appreciated

DSC04738.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04737.jpg (51.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04741.jpg (54.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04742.jpg (60.8 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by magu; 12-07-20 at 03:05 PM. Reason: More pictures added
Old 12-07-20, 04:24 PM

One or two of the manufacturers have (or did) incorporate short videos on their websites showing aspects of their manufacturing processes. Have a look at Vaughtons, Firmins and Toye, Kenning & Spencer websites. Alternatively, search "die stamping badges" and similar.

Dave.
Old 12-07-20, 08:59 PM

This one is not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LQSiVpc-VA
Old 12-07-20, 09:43 PM

You could go the archives of Gaunt (eg NAM and Bham; Jennings, Bent & Parker) etc - though some are not publicly available.
There are also rubbings in the War Office records at the National Archives.
It would be interesting to know which company's manufactured the planchets you illustrated!
Old 12-07-20, 10:36 PM

54Bty,

That's an interesting video. Thanks for sharing it!

Terry
Old 13-07-20, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magu View Post
Hello folks
I've spent a while searching both here and the web generally but can find nothing that describes exacvtly how cap badges (collars also) were actually manufactured prior to the Staybrite era.

Film would be fantastic,a lengthy written description of the process from sheet metal to finished product would be great even a hint would be good...its one of those great conundrums...i can find untold references to the angle of the feathers on certain badges but no description of the basic process of making one

The reason i ask is that i picked these up today which got me thinking,particularly with regard to the perforations, i dont doubt these are genuine....whether genuine fake or genuine genuine....i'm still intrigued as to the process

Any help or pointers elsewhere most appreciated

Attachment 227230
I'd go with genuine genuine so well done! The holes are put in using a "bow drill" which gives them a slightly irregular edge to the hole. The fine details are then had pierced with a piercing saw.
Old 13-07-20, 06:15 AM

The Queen’s and West Riding badges are officers’ collar patterns, these are generally die cast.
Old 13-07-20, 08:52 AM

Sorry, I missed the 'staybrite' interest.
There is a very good detailed account of AA badge construction in Chris Marsh's excellent book on the subject.
Old 26-07-20, 08:20 PM

Hello again folks..took a while but i managed to get the rest today,not a great variety and the only puzzler is the spanish one (of which there are 24 !).

The MGC are in 3 different metals all,very approximately the same thickness but some appearing to be very copper heavy in the brass composition and the others being more yellow brass toned.There is a distinct weight difference when held in the hand

Regarding the perforations...i'm inclined to believe these were done mechanically either during the first forming of the badge or as an additional press stage along the line..they are far too perfect to have been done using a bow drill they also line up perfectly when stacked on top of each other.

On my meanderings online i came across the following article on J.R Gaunt from 2014 in the Hockley Flyer https://issuu.com/ybapublications/docs/350sepflyer The article starts on page 36,it can also be downloaded free of charge

All the Suffolk Regiment cut halves are identical

Enjoy the pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05368.jpg (88.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05369.jpg (79.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05370.jpg (94.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05371.jpg (87.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05372.jpg (69.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 26-07-20, 08:24 PM

More pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05373.jpg (86.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05374.jpg (63.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05375.jpg (114.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05376.jpg (78.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05377.jpg (84.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 26-07-20, 08:42 PM

The 9th Bn HLI and Glam Yeo are from the fake dies. Those plates will date from the 1970s onwards.

Whilst the picture is not clear I strongly suspect BW overlay centre is the nutty professor fake die going by the hair bulges. The NDC monogram is the type found on die cast bronze officer’s badges so it being is brass I would suspect it also a repro.
Old 26-07-20, 11:11 PM

Yes i agree Luke (apart from not understanding much of what you typed...nutty professor ?)..as i said genuine genuine or genuine fake..i'm still intrigued to find out how the 600 employed at Gaunt's for instance were making not only badges but the whole gamut of items they offered .I've found it quite amazing that nobody seems to have documented to any great extent what went on in the larger badge manufacturies