British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-07-16, 07:58 AM

Question Tank Corps badge

I noticed that this item on ebay although being sold as a copy/fake made a high price, six bidders thought it worth buying, what are members thoughts?

Rob
Old 03-07-16, 08:44 AM

Rob,

any chance of a link rather than item number which does not work for me. If its the two piece cap badge with gaunt mark then I am amazed that it was worth a bid at all!

regards

Mark
Old 03-07-16, 08:53 AM

Here you go Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351768487002
Tony
Old 03-07-16, 09:20 AM

Well played by the seller.
Made it clear it was a fake from the start and got a great price.

I recall the previous threads on here about this badge being spurious.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 03-07-16, 10:20 AM

Aren't the others with a an overlay, this one seems to be cast in a silver colour metal with a brass/gold colour wash if the silver highlights on the back are anything to by.
Old 03-07-16, 05:10 PM

Hi, the better quality ones have an overlay, some are now appearing with different manufacturers mark. So someone else is getting in on the act, best wishes Mike.
Old 06-07-16, 11:38 AM

Default Tank Corp badge.

Hi, I was the one who bought this badge. I believe it is genuine, just by the feel of it. I have the other two types in my collection ( the overlaid versions ). I also have a couple of fakes.

I believe they were a private buy after the war and were worn by rankers ( Bronze and silver/WM ) and senior NCO's ( gilt and silver/WM ).

I'm pretty sure it's a good one, but if it isn't "hay ho" its in my collection.

I got my two overlaid originals from Peter Payne, who has written three books on collecting Tank badges. These are my bibles.
Old 06-07-16, 12:35 PM

Peter,

Can you provide details of the 3 books please, I was unaware of them before you mentioned it.
Might be worth buying.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 06-07-16, 01:03 PM

Peter,

same request please having just started a beginners collection of Tank Corps items a reference work on the subject would be really useful.

thanks

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Peter,

Can you provide details of the 3 books please, I was unaware of them before you mentioned it.
Might be worth buying.

regards
Old 06-07-16, 02:04 PM

Could this be one of them?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...ting-537324745
Old 06-07-16, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

I don't claim to be an expert but I think they are officers rather than ORs badges. The band is another likely wearer as they also wore full dress.

http://www.royaltankregiment.com/en-...adgemotto.aspx : 'With the introduction of a full dress for officers in the late 1920's came special cap and collar badges with the tank in silver and the rest of the badge in gilt. The collar badges were also worn in mess dress. A hackle of horsehair in the Regimental Colours, green to the right, was worn behind the cap badge in full dress by both officers and the Band.'

There is an example of 1950s bi-metal Officers' badge in the Tank Museum worn in full dress. Post WW2 the RTR went in for some interesting items of headgear including hackles (see here: http://www.4and7royaltankregiment.com/1953-1961.html) and a rather natty wool beret that has to be seen to be believed.

Last edited by Alan O; 06-07-16 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-07-16, 03:49 PM

Hi Alan, I've got a copy of the dress regs. page, I think it's 1927, and it refers to the bi-metal badge as shilling size which is the collar badge. If you measure these overlay and silvered badges they are very good cast copies and are a couple of mm smaller than the Gaunt originals bronze officers' badge. It was covered quite well in a previous thread. They were made in the late 60's early 70's, for years I had the gilded version as my prize collection but it was a copy, very convincing but a copy. The books were also released as CDs and should be still available from Peter though Jim McDonald unfortunately died earlier this year. Hope this helps Mike
Old 06-07-16, 03:51 PM

Default Woolly Beret

The woolly beret is called an astrakhan, or for short a "N###ers wig". These were worn by officers from 1962 to the early 80's. Worn with a wire bullion badge and a plume of brown, red and green. Only worn with Number 2's, or blues.
Old 06-07-16, 05:36 PM

Default Tankie books

Hi,

Here are the details of the books:-

Tanks & Goodbuy A Collectors Guide by Peter Payne & Jim Macdonald

Tanks Again Another Look at Things To Do with the RTR and its Predecessor by the same authors.

I can't find my other one at the moment, but these two titles are good as well.

Uniforms and insignia of the Royal Armouured Corps since 1946 by John Bodsworth.

The men inside the metal vol 1 & 2 by Dick Taylor
Old 06-07-16, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi Alan, I've got a copy of the dress regs. page, I think it's 1927, and it refers to the bi-metal badge as shilling size which is the collar badge. If you measure these overlay and silvered badges they are very good cast copies and are a couple of mm smaller than the Gaunt originals bronze officers' badge. It was covered quite well in a previous thread. They were made in the late 60's early 70's, for years I had the gilded version as my prize collection but it was a copy, very convincing but a copy. The books were also released as CDs and should be still available from Peter though Jim McDonald unfortunately died earlier this year. Hope this helps Mike

So to be clear the genuine officer bi metal badges were collar sized. The one from ebay is a full sized fake.

What size did the band wear?