British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-01-14, 03:58 PM

Default Trail British Columbia City Police pre-1950

Trail, British Columbia originally had its own municipal police with its first officer being appointed in 1896. This force would continue until January 1949 when it was absorbed into the British Columbia Provincial Police, and short time later the RCMP provided policing to the city.
For those not familiar with Trail the city is located in the Kootenay Region of British Columbia near the Canadian - USA border on the banks of the Columbia River. The main activity in the area is mining and the local Cominco Smelter was at one time the largest in the British Empire/Commonwealth.

Here is the wallet badge for Constable in the Trail, BC., Police circa 1940s.

In the 1940s there were around 7 serving members which makes this a rather hard to find badge. I was luck some years ago to pick this badge up from a retired Vancouver City Police officer who was selling off his collection.

If anyone has buttons or historical details on this force please contact.

Regards, Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trail, BC City Police .jpg (71.4 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Defendersoftheempire; 20-01-14 at 02:27 PM.
Old 20-01-14, 04:44 PM

Default Trail Police

Very nice, do you collect only B.C. police items?

Jack
Old 20-01-14, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defendersoftheempire View Post
Trail, British Columbia originally had its own municipal police with its first officer being appointed in 1896. This force would continue until January 1949 when it was absorbed into the British Columbia Provincial Police, and short time later the RCMP provided policing to the city.
For those not familiar with Trail the city is located in the Kootenay Region of British Columbia near the Canadian - USA border on the banks of the Columbia River. The main activity in the area is mining and the local Cominco Smelter was at one time the largest in the British Empire/Commonwealth.

Here is the wallet badge for Constable in the Trail, BC., Police circa 1940s.

In the 1940s there were around 7 serving members which makes this a rather hard to find badge. I was luck some years ago to pick this badge up from a retired Vancouver City Police officer who was selling off his collection.

If anyone has buttons or historical details on this force please contact.

Regards, Greg
Greg,

I'm not able to help with any information in respect of your badge. However, you may be interested in having sight of the item in the attached photo. One of a kind I guess having regard to the rank.

I've been in touch with the City Council at Merritt and asked when they ceased to have their own police force and although they replied saying that they would make some enquiries and revert, they never did so. That was about eight years ago.

Similarly I enquired with the RCMP "BC" provincial HQ and asked how long they had been performing contract policing in Merritt. I received a reply from the female RCMP Sergeant in charge of Merritt detachment who studiously avoided answering my question but keenly gave me detailed information in respect of the number of men she had under her at Merritt. I'm not joking....
I was tempted to reply offering my congratulations to her but thought better of it. I feel sure that she is not typical of intellectual ability of RCMP Sergeants, but was perhaps having a bad day. I've not made any further enquiries regarding the item not wishing to place any further burden upon the Merritt authorities.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merritt.jpg (74.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by altcar73; 20-01-14 at 09:59 PM.
Old 21-01-14, 04:44 PM

Default Merritt Police Badge

Dave

The RCMP took over policing in British Columbia in Aug 1950. Prior to that The B.C. Provincial Police were responsible for the overall policing of the Province. I suspect that Merritt ceased to having their own police in Aug 1950 as well. I know that Surrey, B.C. had their own police force up until Aug 1950 and they were absorbed by the RCMP. There were a total of 3 members on the Surrey Police Force at that time.

In regard to the female member, she may have been acting in charge but it is a S/Sgt's Detachment. To bad we were not having this discussion a couple of years ago, the person in charge of Merritt back then worked for me and is a prince of a person. He would have bent over backwards to help you get the info you wanted.

I retired from the Force 9 years ago but still have some contact in the Force that may be able to get the information you want on the badge from Merritt. Let me know and I will get on the phone.

Jack
Old 21-01-14, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#199 View Post
Dave

The RCMP took over policing in British Columbia in Aug 1950. Prior to that The B.C. Provincial Police were responsible for the overall policing of the Province. I suspect that Merritt ceased to having their own police in Aug 1950 as well. I know that Surrey, B.C. had their own police force up until Aug 1950 and they were absorbed by the RCMP. There were a total of 3 members on the Surrey Police Force at that time.

In regard to the female member, she may have been acting in charge but it is a S/Sgt's Detachment. To bad we were not having this discussion a couple of years ago, the person in charge of Merritt back then worked for me and is a prince of a person. He would have bent over backwards to help you get the info you wanted.

I retired from the Force 9 years ago but still have some contact in the Force that may be able to get the information you want on the badge from Merritt. Let me know and I will get on the phone.

Jack
Jack,

Thank you for your very kind offer. The year 1950 was mentioned to me previously but I was cautioned by a Canadian contact to be careful about assuming that was the appropriate date because the RCMP (so he explained) did not take over all municipal policing in the province and indeed a number of municipal forces exist today, e.g. Victoria, Sannich, Vancouver, Nelson etc.

I've this afternoon emailed the museum and archives people in Merritt and have asked them to do a bit of research for me. If that fails I may come back to you.

Best wishes, Dave.
Old 22-01-14, 02:47 PM

Default Merritt Badge

Dave

Yes you are right about the fact that there are still some cities in B.C. that have their our policing, 11 to be exact. There was 12 up until recently when Esquimalt was taken over by Victoria. If you include Greater Vancouver Transit Authority which are responsible for the transit system then it is 12.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any assisitance.

Jack
Old 24-01-14, 09:13 PM

Greg & Jack,

As a result of an enquiry which I mailed to the Nicola Valley Museum Archives relative to the Merritt City Police Chief Badge, I had the following reply to-day which may be of interest to you both:-

"Our records indicate that our municipal police operated from 1911 – 1948. There is mention of a Chief of Police, a Police Commissioner, a Police Magistrate and a Indian Department Constable. The BC Provincial Police took over in 1948"

Best wishes, Dave.