British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-10-23, 04:37 PM

Default 1980s Parachute Regiment

I need the help of the forum please.

I would like to obtain the correct Parachute Regiment beret badge and parachutist qualification wing for a South Atlantic - Falklands campaign display.

There are plenty of post-WWII wings and badges on dealer websites and eBay but I need to identify the correct patterns to look for.

I would be most grateful if a helpful collector could post some images on the forum and advise me please.

Thank you for looking, Keith

Last edited by popskipa; 07-10-23 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-10-23, 05:16 PM

One thing to consider is if it is a Para cap badge of the Falklands conflict you want to represent, then virtually all the Toms would have been wearing blackened or black manufactured badges for tactical purposes.

Cheers……John
Old 06-10-23, 06:14 PM

ORs issue cap badges would be ‘stabrite’ anodised aluminium in the type with a slider rather than lugs. Blackened versions were worn in combat in the Falklands (and in Northern Ireland).
Old 06-10-23, 06:32 PM

Thank you.

A couple of images found on the internet showing berets being worn which seem to confirm the blackened badge was worn in combat while the silvered badge was proudly worn when the fighting was over, of course there will be exceptions but this seems to be the general rule.

Were the blackened badges made that way or were they issue silvered badges that had been painted black?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8839.jpg (70.8 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by popskipa; 06-10-23 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-10-23, 06:33 PM

Another image when the fighting was over and a few are wearing silvered badges…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8838.jpg (41.6 KB, 115 views)
Old 06-10-23, 11:43 PM

Given how quickly the Task Force was mobilised and depending on individual priorities, it may have been that some Toms didn’t bother or didn’t have time to obtain a blackened badge, as I believe they are private purchase rather than issue within Para Regt. As a side note, there was a programme made about the Paras not long after the conflict and the NCO instructors at Para Depot stated they were all fighting to and calling in favours to get back to a Battalion so they could be deployed. I’ll wager some of them might not have had blackened badges to deploy with, as they would have been primarily wearing staybrite badges for their teaching role.

The Airborne Shop sells blackened Para badges amongst other sources now, so probably available from the PRI or the other kit suppliers in Aldershot at the time. Or some Toms may have done what other regt. did for NI deployments and got the black paint or a permanent black marker out.

Personally I’d either try and find a Para veteran of the conflict and see if they will part with a badge they have of the era, or look out for a dinged up blackened anodised aluminium QC badge for sale.

Have to admit I don’t know my onions on AA badges, so not sure if their was a particular badge manufacturer prior to the conflict who was knocking out maker marked Para badges that would at least give you the steer on obtaining one that is nailed on accurate to the time frame desired.

Actually some great info here:
https://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2017/...ueens.html?m=1

Might have to look out for one of those Belfast maker marked ones myself!

Cheers……John
Old 07-10-23, 05:04 AM

Ive just read Jims blog. Id go for the black Gaunt or black Dowler.
With regard to the Belfast made ones,ive never seen one with that mark. There are plenty of them available with blank sliders.
There isnt any mention of this company in Haggys a/a book as a producer of a/a badges. It wouldnt be difficult to assume that the blank slider versions were produced by this company.
The RGJ black cap badge in a/a is also found with a blank slider.
Old 07-10-23, 07:32 AM

Thank you John Colin and Mike.

I found the blog most useful.

I will look for a black Gaunt or black Dowler badge.

Now which parachute qualified wings were in use at the time please?

Thank you, Keith
Old 07-10-23, 08:36 AM

Wen I first joined 155 Transport Regiment RCT TA the whole Regiment wore Blacked Badges and the QM staff had a metal container of a blackening fluid which they just applied with a cloth on to new badges when you drew your kit. Hence the original ones they may have been produced at local level.
Old 11-10-23, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popskipa View Post
I need the help of the forum please.

I would like to obtain the correct Parachute Regiment beret badge and parachutist qualification wing for a South Atlantic - Falklands campaign display.

There are plenty of post-WWII wings and badges on dealer websites and eBay but I need to identify the correct patterns to look for.

I would be most grateful if a helpful collector could post some images on the forum and advise me please.

Thank you for looking, Keith
I am not up on modern Parachute Regiment badges but i have this one made by LB&B which has been blackened. If correct, i would be happy to send it on to you for your display.

Kind regards

Stuart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231011_160211.jpg (64.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20231011_160221.jpg (71.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20231011_160227.jpg (68.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 11-10-23, 04:43 PM

Very nice maker marked badge Stuart and a super offer for Keith.

Cheers……John
Old 11-10-23, 06:11 PM

Another example of the great kindness and generosity of the members of this forum.

Terry

Last edited by Home Guard; 12-10-23 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-10-23, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
I am not up on modern Parachute Regiment badges but i have this one made by LB&B which has been blackened. If correct, i would be happy to send it on to you for your display.

Kind regards

Stuart
Stuart

Thank you, pm sent.

I am constantly impressed by the kindness and generosity of fellow collectors.

Keith
Old 19-10-23, 05:04 PM

Herewith some pics of parachute wings I picked-up from surplus Army jerseys, in the mid/late-1980s, when I was working at an Army & Navy Stores. The jerseys were in poor condition, hence removed the insignia altogether. As such, dating from around Falklands era.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1697722573805.jpg (66.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 1697722573788.jpg (45.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 1697722573796.jpg (48.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 1697722573778.jpg (56.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 19-10-23, 05:26 PM

Doug, I like how you saved the insignia cutting out part of the jersey and keeping the insignia attached. Some very cool items for sure - very cool!!!

Terry