British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-03-15, 01:09 AM

Question Let the Debate Begin! RAF US Volunteer???

Although I primarily collect ww2 women's items now, I have collected RAF and Luftwaffe for over two decades prior. A few years back, I picked up a real mystery of a photo that I have never fully gotten to the bottom of. I expect this to cause quite a bit of debate, so let the fur fly, as they say. This chap has on an early 4 pocket RAF tunic and peak cap, with VR collars. Here's where things get strange. He has on a pair of US silver pilots wings and if you look closely, he has USAAF officers buttons on the tunic! He also appears to have WW1 French and US ribbons. The photographer is a fairly pricey one, Bassano, so I highly doubt that this is a joke photo as it would have been in poor taste and much to elaborate for such an expensive sitting. My only thought is that he may be a US flyer from WW1, who flew with the French and joined the RAF in WW2, in some capacity, to train new pilots early in the war. Can anyone definitively ID the ribbons also, as this may help. I'm looking forward to any feedback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flyer.jpg (37.6 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by BlueBadger; 27-03-15 at 04:49 PM.
Old 27-03-15, 04:48 PM

Well, this is an unexpected silence...
Old 27-03-15, 05:14 PM

This is not really my field but the pre 1941 RAF Eagle squadrons may be a possibility. Found this webpage which might give some explanation of the French ribbon from either WWI or even WWII. Cannot find an image of an Eagle Squadron member in RAF uniform that does not have RAF wings on though (some have both RAF and USAAF wings but not the USAAF wings by themselves).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Squadrons
Old 27-03-15, 06:42 PM

I actually have several original eagle squadron items and a few photos. But as you said, this gent doesn't seem to fit that mould, due to the lack of RAF wings and the US buttons on the RAF tunic, which would have been a no-no for those in the E.S. When I originally purchased the photo, I initially assumed that it was E.S. also, but my research thus far has disproven that more than substantiated it. I even managed to stump the curator at the RAF Museum at Hendon with this photo, which is very exciting to me indeed!

Regards, Jeff
Old 27-03-15, 07:02 PM

I think they are RAF buttons, can see the birds head facing right and just about make out the crown above.
Old 27-03-15, 07:15 PM

Hi BlueBadger,
An intriguing puzzle. I did find a shot of Tyrone Power who starred in the movie "A Yank in the RAF" but he is wearing the usual RAF wings on his tunic.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 27-03-15, 11:20 PM

Hi,

Interesting photo. I understand that a lot of British pilots trained in both Canada and USA under a variety of flying training schemes during the last war. Of those who trained as pilots under any number of the schemes offered in the USA - upon qualification the majority were awarded a set of American pilot wings. The medal ribbons incidentally appear to be Italian, which could account for the Italian inscription. So possibly a recently qualified Anglo-Italian serving in the RAFVR who has just finished training in the USA – posing for a photo (There is also the possibility that he’s also an “Instructor” hence the unofficial wearing of the wings)?

Regards,

Zob.
Old 27-03-15, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zob View Post
Hi,

Interesting photo. I understand that a lot of British pilots trained in both Canada and USA under a variety of flying training schemes during the last war. Of those who trained as pilots under any number of the schemes offered in the USA - upon qualification the majority were awarded a set of American pilot wings. The medal ribbons incidentally appear to be Italian, which could account for the Italian inscription. So possibly a recently qualified Anglo-Italian serving in the RAFVR who has just finished training in the USA – posing for a photo (There is also the possibility that he’s also an “Instructor” hence the unofficial wearing of the wings)?

Regards,

Zob.
The inscription is "Bassano", which was a London based photographer in WW2. I have managed to pick out one of the ribbons as the Croix de Guerre with palm WW1 version and the WW1 American occupation ribbon, so I'm inclined to think that he was a US flyer in WW1 with the Lafayette Espadrille. I agree that he was likely an instructor pilot, rather than a full fledged combat pilot due to the liberty he took with the uniform. In regards to the buttons on his tunic, the original photo is an 8x10, so I can clearly make out that they are certainly US officers buttons and not RAF buttons.

Thanks for the only so far.
Old 28-04-15, 04:33 PM

great pic !!!!
Old 28-04-15, 05:34 PM
guest123a

DELETED

Last edited by guest123a; 23-07-15 at 04:21 PM.
Old 14-05-15, 05:58 AM

Wild speculation a yank who fought and flew in WW1 settled in France post war fled the Nazi invasion joined the RAF/Vr, on arrival in the UK not in a flying role intelligence officer or some form of instructor. He would certainly be allowed his medal ribbons up, wings pinned on just for the photo?

Mind you during the dark days of the BOB who would have been bothered to challenge a vet in uniform probably just grateful for the help in whatever capacity!

Great picture love it!

Paul