British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-07-15, 07:04 AM

Default Weapon Systems Officer/Operator

Hi there guys

Can you please tell me if the Fighter Controller, Image Analyst and the Airborne Technician wear the WSO wing (flying badge) together with the many others such as Navs, AEOs, AEOps, Loadmaster etc?

Regards

Doug
Old 02-07-15, 11:08 AM

Hi Doug, I'm not sure which badges are still in wear by 'old sweats' ect. but the only back seat qualification wings to appear in the JSP 768 (Defence Clothing Catalogue) V3 2013 are RAF, AT & FC.
Regards, Craig
Old 02-07-15, 12:08 PM

Thanks Craig

With the all encompassing WSO category I was not too sure what happened to them. It would appear that IA may have been dissolved into WSO?

Regards

Doug
Old 02-07-15, 12:54 PM

Hi Doug, Just spoke with someone on 5 Sqn - yes IAs are still wearing the IA Brevet. It's not in the JSP because there were so few of them that it's always been an LPO item.
I'm told though that there are no more of that trade coming through so any new incumbant will already be badged with the RAF brevet.
Looks to be an badge that will be even scarcer in the future!
Old 02-07-15, 02:54 PM

You can check out this link which lists all the current aircrew wings, although the previous post may contradict it:

http://www.rafweb.org/Ranks-Uniform/Badges3.htm

There's also the RAF Dress Regs at:
http://www.raf.mod.uk/downloads/ap1358.cfm

Check out Chapter 7.

I managed to get hold of an Image Analyst brevet a couple of years ago from a Forum member. Now all I need is the latest RPAS one, which are as rare as hen's teeth as there's so few pilots trained. For those who don't know, RPAS stands for Remote Piloted Aircraft Systems (Drones). They look like a regular pilot's wings, but with a blue wreath instead of the brown - a bit like the RAAF ones in a way. You can see them in the rafweb link.

If anyone knows where to get a set please PM me.

David
Old 03-07-15, 07:28 AM

I just checked my source and I'm almost correct. It is no longer a JSP (Joint Service Publication) as of 20 Oct 14. It is now just 'The Defence Clothing Catalogue (V3; 2013)'. It is not produced as a hard copy and was last amended to remove all mention of JSP 768.
David, you raise a good query though. To my thinking JSPs replaced APs, so your link (from the official RAF website) should be well out of date - however I see that the publication was last amended in Apr 15.
I've asked a man 'in the know' & hopefully I'll get a reply soon.
Regards, Craig
Old 15-07-15, 06:47 AM

As an update to my last - the Defence Clothing Catalogue is the current reference document. The people who produce the catalogue have no power over what is published on the web (and it seems no contact either).
I asked questions of the RAF website but have recieved no response - I can only assume that with cut backs the mailbox is manned by the same guy who is busy updating superceded publications.
Old 15-07-15, 10:56 PM

RPAS pilots currently only get issued with 2 sets of wings. Those worn on No1 uniform and a second pair for wear on flying suits etc. Some do buy extras or have name badges privately made with wings on so they will be scarce for a while yet.
My bosses husband is RPAS and even I can't get a pair......although I have been promised his in his will

Bill
Old 16-07-15, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cga00 View Post
Hi Doug, I'm not sure which badges are still in wear by 'old sweats' ect. but the only back seat qualification wings to appear in the JSP 768 (Defence Clothing Catalogue) V3 2013 are RAF, AT & FC.
Regards, Craig
Any mention of the PJI brevet? Or has that gone to?
Old 16-07-15, 11:14 AM

Interesting point Gareth

As far as I know it still exists - I must admit that I am not an expert on RAF wings. Any other thoughts out there?

Regards

Doug
Old 16-07-15, 12:00 PM

BADGE, QUALIFICATION. Parachute Instructor. RAF.
Is still in the catalogue, along with the mess dress version. I don't expect that they thought they could lump this one in with the others as it's not actually a flying qualification and classed as honourary aircrew only. So I guess they'll keep it as long as the job exists.
Regards, Craig