British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-05-22, 09:23 AM

Default Knowledge

Hi all. What i would like to see on this Forum is more information on whether a badge is right or wrong. Many replies to questions about questionable badges are just - 'Its a wrong-un. I don't like it. One for the bin. And so on. And there are no hints or information on how this opinion has been reached. Therefore no one learns anything about a particular badge only that it is right or wrong so it kills any discussion that may arise about things to look for on a particular badge. I don't want reams of information that would clog up everything but a sentence to justify has to why they have reached their decision would be very nice and would be a great help to newcomers to are hobby.
Old 25-05-22, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Vet View Post
Hi all. What i would like to see on this Forum is more information on whether a badge is right or wrong. Many replies to questions about questionable badges are just - 'Its a wrong-un. I don't like it. One for the bin. And so on. And there are no hints or information on how this opinion has been reached. Therefore no one learns anything about a particular badge only that it is right or wrong so it kills any discussion that may arise about things to look for on a particular badge. I don't want reams of information that would clog up everything but a sentence to justify has to why they have reached their decision would be very nice and would be a great help to newcomers to are hobby.
One reason for these concise responses is that often, the same question has been asked and answered on the forum numerous times in the past.

A lot of newcomers don’t seem to use the search facility… in some cases I think it may be because they are unaware of it or of how to use it.

I think it would be fair to say some long-standing members (rightly or wrongly) may feel a little frustration at reading these same queries over and over again.

This is not a judgement on my part on those asking or answering questions, merely an observation.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 25-05-22 at 09:41 AM.
Old 25-05-22, 03:26 PM

I agree with JT.

Many of the fakes shown on here with enquiries as to authenticity are nothing new and already have umpteen threads, often several with tells or pointers.

If the question posed is yay or nay then I do not see a problem with answering exactly that, especially when the whys and wherefores are already present on the forum and can be found with use of the search function and a bit of reading.
Old 25-05-22, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

I am afraid that I am of the same opinion. I just don't have the time to explain yet again the reasoning. As well as the search facility working quite well, many threads have been put together so the info on one type of badge is in one place.
Old 25-05-22, 09:05 PM

Whilst I agree that a full explanation may not always be warranted, I try to use phrases such as " not genuine in my opinion" etc., and will try to give at least a brief reason; "known fake slider" or something to that effect.
I do find the not for me, bad one, and other such curt replies reminiscent of the off putting and down right rude responses found on the infamous WA forum.
I must say that this forum has generally been quite good at avoiding that.
A much more gentlemanly subject and membership here.

CB
Old 25-05-22, 09:14 PM

To facilitate searches, always use the full title of a regiment/unit/corps/formation. And spell them correctly.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 25-05-22, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
To facilitate searches, always use the full title of a regiment/unit/corps/formation. And spell them correctly.

Phil
Like button.

Avoid abbreviations, it’s a thread killer and can consign one to the abyss.

Also where multiple terms for something exist try referring to it by more than one term to improve the chances of someone finding it. Use tags too.

Pictures, please attach them to posts. So many posts and even entire threads on this forum are now useless where host websites have expired or pictures been removed.