British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-03-22, 02:08 AM

Default Wessex Brigade and Wessex Regiment

I'm trying to get my head around which collar badges were worn by the Devonshire, Dorset, Hampshire and Berkshire contingents of the Wessex Brigade and Wessex Regiment, and am struggling a bit.

In respect of the Wessex Brigade, would I be right in thinking that each regiment wore the sliver aa wyvern cap badge and the collars of their respective regiments (in the same way as the Home Counties brigdage), or did they all wear the silver anodised wyvern collars, and then start wearing the respective collar badges to their individual regiments (along with the new regimental cap badges) once the brigade system was discontinued?

With regard to the Wesex Regiment, did individual companies wear the gold aa wyvern cap badge and the collar badges of their previous TA regiments or did they adopt the use of the wyvern collar badge and wear this until dissolution?

If the Wessex Regiment did wear the collars of their previous regiments, what collars were worn by the 2nd Bn after the 1971 reorganisation?
Old 13-03-22, 06:42 AM

The Wessex Regiment Volunteers wore the Wyvern cap and collar badges. A shoulder title a solid Wessex with a coloured background of black or blue. C Coy wore a.green background.
There are a number of threads showing these.
The Wessex brigade,the Wyvern cap badge was worn with the Regimental collar badges and shoulder titles.
Old 13-03-22, 09:54 AM

Andy,
These threads may provide some answers but probably raise more questions!

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=24561

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=84145

Tim
Old 13-03-22, 03:58 PM

Hi Andy, both Mike and Tim are spot on. Please find attached a page from my own notes which my help. Sorry having trouble with document

Last edited by Neil1689; 13-03-22 at 04:04 PM.
Old 13-03-22, 04:10 PM

Here is the Document.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wessex Brigade Uniforms.pdf (364.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 13-03-22, 05:53 PM

Many thanks Mike, Tim and Neil.

That was exactly the information I was looking for - it makes sense to me now.
Old 13-03-22, 08:48 PM

I had a look at the Wessex Military Band which as mentioned previously wore Wessex items.
The person who i assume is the bandmaster is wearing a badge unknown to me. The helmet looks like the type worn by the Devon & Dorset band except for a red band rather than a green one. The helmet plate is done in the style of the early D&D ones. A cap badge mounted on a red disc . The disc extends to the edge of the flat area of the plate rather than a normal helmet plate centre.
Old 14-03-22, 12:39 PM

Default Devon & Dorset Wessex Brigade badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Andy,
These threads may provide some answers but probably raise more questions!

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=24561

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=84145

Tim
I was in 1 D&D in Cyprus in 1960 and can confirm what Tim quotes is correct. ORs had gold staybright Wyvern cap badges (usually made by H.W.Timmings Ltd B'ham) and gold and silver stay bright castle collars. Officers had S/P Wyverns, some unmarked and some Gaunt and S/P and gilt collars.
As National Service officers we were only given two S/P cap badges, one for service dress and one for No 1 dress and thus we did not have one for our berets so we used to take a gold anodised one to the cookhouse where it went under the high temperature flames which magically turned it silver in colour for the beret at no cost (as a N/S 2/Lt the pay was only £5 per week so we did not have much to spare after mess bills etc!)
Denis
Old 14-03-22, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I had a look at the Wessex Military Band which as mentioned previously wore Wessex items.
The person who i assume is the bandmaster is wearing a badge unknown to me. The helmet looks like the type worn by the Devon & Dorset band except for a red band rather than a green one. The helmet plate is done in the style of the early D&D ones. A cap badge mounted on a red disc . The disc extends to the edge of the flat area of the plate rather than a normal helmet plate centre.
Thanks Mike.

I've just been looking at the photos on their Facebook page and can see what you mean about the bnadmasters badge - it's huge!!!

I wasn't aware the band even existed until reading about it here. What a totally fascinating bit of local culture. Bridport isn't too far away from me, so I suspect I'll end up checking them out one day.
Old 14-03-22, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis pannett View Post
I was in 1 D&D in Cyprus in 1960 and can confirm what Tim quotes is correct. ORs had gold staybright Wyvern cap badges (usually made by H.W.Timmings Ltd B'ham) and gold and silver stay bright castle collars. Officers had S/P Wyverns, some unmarked and some Gaunt and S/P and gilt collars.
As National Service officers we were only given two S/P cap badges, one for service dress and one for No 1 dress and thus we did not have one for our berets so we used to take a gold anodised one to the cookhouse where it went under the high temperature flames which magically turned it silver in colour for the beret at no cost (as a N/S 2/Lt the pay was only £5 per week so we did not have much to spare after mess bills etc!)
Denis
Thanks Denis.

That's really interesting. I'm tempted to take a gold anodised Wyvern I have and see whether I can replicate the process.
Old 14-03-22, 08:29 PM

Yes, I didn't know that about gold / silver ringers,- it could explain a strangely silver toned Coldstream Guards anod al that I have.
Old 14-03-22, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc347 View Post
Thanks Denis.

That's really interesting. I'm tempted to take a gold anodised Wyvern I have and see whether I can replicate the process.
I wonder if that is why you get some that are very faded gold.
Old 14-03-22, 09:38 PM

First hand knowledge is the best. Could I ask Denis if Other ranks wore the Devon and Dorsets green square behind the wyvern on their berets please.
Thanks Neil
Old 14-03-22, 11:05 PM

Some more Wessex Wyverns:
1 and 2 = FIRMIN. LONDON standard
3 and 4 = the mysterious BEEWYSE LONDON - possibly made for the Wessex Military Band (which is civilian)
5 = Officers plated
6 and 7 = Officers bullion
8 = white metal / pewter??
9 = gold anodised standard

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 15-03-22 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Add descriptions
Old 15-03-22, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1689 View Post
First hand knowledge is the best. Could I ask Denis if Other ranks wore the Devon and Dorsets green square behind the wyvern on their berets please.
Thanks Neil
Yes Neil, you are correct with green square backing. I meant to put that in but forgot!
Denis