British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-10-21, 04:57 PM

Default GLENGARRY QUESTION

Hi folks

I think maybe I am just being thick.

I am trying to figure out the difference in the colour of the dice head band on glengarries worn by

1. Gordon Highlanders

2. Royal Scots, Royal Highland Fusiliers, KOSB

Dress Regs describe Gordons as "Blue glengarry with scarlet, blue and white dicing, scarlet toorie."

and it goes on to describe RS, RHF & KOSB as "Blue glengarry with scarlet, green and white dicing, scarlet toorie"

Every photo I find on t'internet of badged RS, RHF & KOSB glengarry's has them on the Gordons pattern of scarlet, blue and white dicing.

Does any one have a correct glengarry showing the green part to put me out of my misery.

Regards
Sean
Old 29-10-21, 05:35 PM

Don't know if this helps :

Royal Regiment of Scotland

Dress Regulations Part One 2nd Edition 2018

Quote:
The Regiment wears the green, white and red dicing previously worn by the Royal Scots, Kings Own Scottish Borderers, Royal Scots Fusiliers, Royal Highland Fusiliers, Seaforth Highlanders and Gordon Highlanders.
https://www.theroyalregimentofscotla..._DressRegs.pdf

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 29-10-21, 06:57 PM

I think the green for the Royal Scots refers to the 2nd Btn who also wore a green disc behind the badge rather than the 1st Btns red
Old 29-10-21, 10:07 PM

Not mine! Image from the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KOSB.jpg (67.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 30-10-21, 07:16 AM

Fantastic definitely looks green
Many thanks
Old 11-11-21, 03:16 PM

Sapper,

I definitely feel your pain. I have glengarries that say on their labels that they are diced green, but I cannot see it. It looks black or blue to me. The only diced headgear where I have seen the green very clearly were for the Scottish Horse.

As other Scottish headgear collectors will tell you, it can be difficult to tell what unit wore the glengarry and when it was made. You can narrow it down first by if it is diced/not diced has a rossette/does not have a rossette. A cap badge is not always a giveaway, as people will add them to glengarries, sometimes if they changed units, sometimes just to have a badge, and sometimes in an attempt to try and make a profit by selling it as from a unit that was amalgamated or disbanded.

For instance, the first thing I look for is how many holes for the cap badge there are. I have seen "Queen's Own Cameron Highlander" glengarries that have many more than two lug holes. Knowing number and spacing of badges helps to identify what badge was likely on the glengarry. Granted, a soldier might put new holes into a glen if his unit is amalgamated. The QoCH became the Queen's Own Highlanders, whose badge had several more lugs. Also, from 1958 to 1968 all regular army units wore either the Highland or Lowland cap badges, so even more combinations of holes. I used to be leery if the markings inside gave a date during this time period and the badge was not one of these two. However, over time I learned OTC, Territorial, and Cadets continued to wear the regimental cap badge during this period.

Construction is another thing I look for. Unfortunately, I am late for a Remembrance Day event and have to finish this later.

I am sorry if this was much more than you were looking for. Identifying glens (and TOS) is one of my hobbies.

Cheers,

Reid
Old 17-11-21, 03:46 PM

Reid, thanks for your response I thought I was going mad, as every glengarry I have seen that should have had green in the dicing was dark blue/black so your answer is very helpful.
Regards
Sean
Old 17-11-21, 05:27 PM

The green dicing referred to is actually a VERY dark green, not noticeable unless examined closely in outdoor light.
I have several Glens that I thought were all dark blue diced, but not so.
I don't know why such a dark green was adopted, as it is virtyally impossible to discern unless one does I explained.
If you have a selection of diced Glens, take them out and look closely. You may get a surprise.

CB
Old 17-11-21, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
Not mine! Image from the internet.
This is a private purchase Glen with dicing made from another material other than the typical course woven wool. The green is very noticeably lighter as a result, the normal green being very dark and hard to discern.

CB