British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > The Royal Australian Navy and Air Force (RAN & RAAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-02-11, 03:40 AM

Default WAS THE RAF EDUCATION CAP BADGE ALSO WORN BY THE RAAF

HI ALL
was this badge worn by the RAAF?
it is a RAF education officers cap badge made by Firmin, and i have never seen it worn by the RAAF however, i have been looking at some pics of 2 big aussie collections and both show an example.
any confirmation is appreciated
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9708.jpg (52.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by badgecollector; 20-02-11 at 03:57 AM.
Old 20-02-11, 08:21 AM

I don't think that these were ever worn as hat badges. I think that this is a RAF education branch collar badge - and as such I would think also worn by the RAAF when in use.
Regards, Craig
Old 20-02-11, 09:46 AM

hi craig
thanks for the reply.
it never occured to me that this could be a collar. i have just measured it and it is 30mm tall so size wise that would make sense and wearing the standard airforce cap badge would also fit with what your saying'
thanks
bc
Old 20-02-11, 07:06 PM

hi bc,

as an ex rockape i have to agree with the above that this is a collar badge.all ref officers wore the same hat/cap badge but with different collars for what they did.
hope this helps

philip
Old 21-02-11, 09:55 AM

hi guys
did these badges come in different sizes?
my badge is 30mm however the pair of collars that just sold in bosleys last auction (26 jan) lot 219 look to be 25mm at best.
any thoughts?
bc
Old 25-02-11, 12:49 AM
Banned

These badges are a bit of a mystery...

The RAF used them as collar badges on the service dress tunic, 25mm (or so) with the eagles always facing the right. They were introduced in February 1940 under Air Ministry Order A116/40 and were to be worn with the brass VR collar badge. They were abolished in June 1948 under AMO 368/48, and that was the end of things as far as the RAF were concerned.

The RAAF also wore them, taken from the RAF and introduced shortly after them. Unlike the RAF, the Australians wore them in 'bronzed' metal or black painted metal and in two sizes, a larger one (nearer to 30mm) on the collar of the service dress tunic and a smaller one on the collar of the shirt. In 1948 in common with RAAF policy, the darkened finish gave way to gilt, before the RAAF abolished them altogether in 1949 (although not all went at that time).

I have seen larger brass versions, with English makers names on the revers and I know a dealer who has a larger brass pair at the moment that shows wear. I believe that the RAF Museum has (or had) in store a cap with one on, but I think this was supposition only and dont have any evidence it was ever worn on the cap, by either the RAF or RAAF. Margaret Nobbs, who issued 'notes' for collectors in the late 60s and 70s I think also assumed the larger was a cap badge.

In 30 years I have never been able to confirm what the larger brass ones were as I have no evidence of them ever being worn in the RAF. Its unlikely any were made larger in error by a manufacturer, so its possible the larger ones were RAAF stock, even if UK made.
Old 25-02-11, 04:34 AM

Hi sas1
That is fantastic information.
What you are saying makes sense and I hope it is correct as I am going to add it to my Aussie collection.
I spoke to another collector who said he swears he once had one made by stokes Melbourne, but it was in a blackened metal. I have also spoken to an old stokes employee, but he doesn’t remember these ever being made?
Who knows, but more research is definitely required.
Thanks again
BC
Old 25-02-11, 11:30 AM
Banned

Hi

I have a bronzed one that has been [ainted black, and was going to remove it from my display card to see if it has a makers name, but Ive noted 'loose lug' so will leave it as it is. But Stokes is a well-known Aussie maker so its highly likely they made them.

Ive no proof the larger brass/gilt ones with Brit makers name were worn in the RAAF, just that I cant find any mention of them being worn in the RAF.

But Ive a photo of the darkend being worn in the RAAF, so definately so..
Old 25-02-11, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
Hi

But Ive a photo of the darkend being worn in the RAAF, so definately so..
hi
any chance you could post the pic of the badge being worn by an aussie please?
bc
Old 25-02-11, 01:31 PM
Banned

Here it is, date unknown, but wartime...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raaf.jpg (14.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 25-02-11, 10:13 PM

thanks sas1
looks to be a squadron leader? do you know who he is?
bc
Old 26-02-11, 01:24 PM
Banned

Yes a Squadron Leader, but no identity I'm afraid..
Old 28-02-11, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hi guys
did these badges come in different sizes?
my badge is 30mm however the pair of collars that just sold in bosleys last auction (26 jan) lot 219 look to be 25mm at best.
any thoughts?
bc
Just took a look at mine - a nice matched gilt pair, measuring 30mm across the wings and 24mm top to bottom.
Old 28-02-11, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
These badges are a bit of a mystery...

The RAF used them as collar badges on the service dress tunic, 25mm (or so) with the eagles always facing the right. They were introduced in February 1940 under Air Ministry Order A116/40 and were to be worn with the brass VR collar badge. They were abolished in June 1948 under AMO 368/48, and that was the end of things as far as the RAF were concerned.

SAS1, really interesting info - I don't suppose you have a list of AMO's concerning other RAF badges do you?
Old 04-03-11, 02:57 PM
Banned

Not a list i'm afraid, but some AMOs relating to certain badges (although they are not compiled). Let me know if there are any particular ones and i'll help if I can.