British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-10-21, 09:42 PM

Default Any badge photography tips?

Hi All,

I have about 900 badges and I have decided to photograph them all (for insurance, if nothing else).

Does anyone have any good tips for taking photos of cap badges? One friend has recommended building a light box and then just using a phone to take the pictures. (Like in this video)

I don't need professional quality but before I take 1800 (fronts and backs) photos I wouldn't mind doing a modicum of research.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 19-10-21, 05:41 AM

Hi Tom
I use a flat bed scanner, at 600 dpi and then "paint shop pro" to straighten and combine the images.

With this image I scanned the hallmarks at a greater dpi and pasted that in for detail.

Rob

Old 19-10-21, 06:09 AM

I found the Epson RX620 very good for scanning badges (amongst those asking to use some of my scans of photographs and badges in publications and museum displays was Geoff McWilliams whosaw some of my scans on websites and asked permission to use them in his books on glengarry badges, I don't know if he did ever use them.)

No skill involved, the scanner does the work, drawback is although you can pick them up second hand for around £20 they're big and heavy.

I use a microscope linked to a desktop to photograph hallmarks and manufacturer's marks.
Old 19-10-21, 08:36 AM

I always used a flat bed scanner but these days unless I want I jet black background I find an iphone is good enough with the item placed on some coloured felt.
Old 19-10-21, 10:50 AM

Provide a scale, and use a proper camera in good, not sunny, daylight, no flash ...... depth of field not great with a scanner, they are designed to scan 2D and any badge is 3D.

If the badges are good, they deserve a good record.
Old 19-10-21, 12:28 PM

It depends what you want the photographs for.
I've written a few books where the artefacts / objects (usually archaeological) where we produce both sides on a white back ground. Moreover, it is useful to number each item eg <1> etc. Describe them (eg dates WO Pattern if you have them), measure, weight, metals etc.

My own photographic skills are not great but I have got professional photographers

...... or perhaps I should buy a new camera and get a computer programme that will enhance the object - and can produce a background (ie white).

(I often get photographs sent to me which are oblique which don't the true shape or dimensions.)

I'd be very grateful if you could recommend such programmes
Old 19-10-21, 01:09 PM

A phone will never take as good a photo as a good camera.
Lightboxes are good and have used them a lot.
Natural light is also good.
I would never use a scanner because it can't do what a good camera will do.