British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-03-09, 01:15 PM

Default Fake SAS Stable Belt

Hi Guys
Thought i would bring this to your attention, won this on ebay at the weekend, was supposed to be an early Victor stamped belt, as you can see a total load of rubbish, a sand cast copie, a very bad one at that, you can see where the maker has machined the buckle to make it fit??
The Ebay Con Artists strike again
thanks
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CaptureWiz060.jpg (37.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg CaptureWiz061.jpg (42.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg CaptureWiz062.jpg (30.4 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by canny lad; 11-03-09 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-03-09, 09:13 PM

Default Special Forces items

This field of collecting has always been a minefield for repro items, you only have to look online to find one of Britains largest units badges of WWII, the Long Range Desert Group, they turn up with monotonous regularity along with SAS items. This is a new one on me and thanks for showing us this monstrosity and it's faults. This should be a warning to all members who buy online. Remember, anyone with money can have a collection of dud items.
Old 12-03-09, 09:13 PM

Hi heres a few pictures of mine for comparison im thinking of maybe replacing the belt dont know???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (31.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (72.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (70.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (35.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 12-03-09, 10:39 PM

Default SAS Belt

Hi Richard
Nice belt mate, i was going to say keep the webbing as it gives the belt character, but in your case i think you might be right in changing the webbing.
Interesting buckle, i also have an early victor belt which only has the one stamp on the flat back of the buckle, ive never seen the actual badge part of the buckle stamped also,
Will post some pictures of mine tomorrow
cheers
Brian
Old 12-03-09, 10:49 PM

Brian,
I wouldn't be too hasty in condemning it as a fake. Attached are photos of my belt worn in the Australian SASR in the early 1980's and it has a cast buckle with no maker's name and is pretty much the same as yours. This was the belt we purchased from the Q store as it was not an issue item. Thus cast items with no maker's mark were actually worn in the Australian Regiment.

Next is a different pattern belt which was worn from the late 1980's/ early 1990's and is a different pattern made by "Hobson and Son (London) Ltd".

Cheers
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st SAS Stable belt F.jpg (84.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 1st SASR Stable belt R1.jpg (66.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 1st SAS Stable Belt R2.jpg (57.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg SAS Stable belt F.jpg (81.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg SAS Stable R1.jpg (29.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg SAS Stable belt R 2.jpg (66.7 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Chrisr; 12-03-09 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 10:56 PM
Former Member

Brian, you can get some great items on Ebay, you just need to have a little bit knowledge of what you are buying and if misled stand your ground! Not all sellers are con artists!!! Some "dealers" are too!!! If you paid via Paypal, then ask for a refund and even if you did not use Paypal then still ask for a refund you are well within your rights! I only buy items off ebay now as I got fed up with returning "ORIGINAL" items to dealers, some of which are on the Forums list!! Motto - be careful what you buy, from whereEVER you buy it from and use you rights as a consumer! If you don't get the result you want tell all your fellow collectors!