British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-05-14, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Default Scottish Regimental shoulder boards Canadian

On another Forum, there was a discussion about cloth rank stars and colour backings. The discussion moved to the question of epaulet material. Some Canadian army Scottish units have used their tartan as a backing material. I have a set to the Lorne Scots, and I have seen Black Watch (which may be Lanark & Renfrew). Does anyone have examples of other Canadian army Scottish unit tartan shoulder boards?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lorne shldr bd.jpg (87.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-05-14, 10:54 AM

Bill,
As far as I know Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa have never done this but I will check in the museum to make sure.

Colin
Old 11-05-14, 01:46 PM

Here is a pair that I have had for decades and "believe" that I picked up in a lot of Elgin Regiment material, but will be happy to be corrected. There are slits cut in where Lieutenant rank stars once were.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0009.jpg (78.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg scan0010.jpg (77.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-05-14, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Gary. The practice then extended beyond the Scottish regiments. Need to dig deeper into dress regs.
Old 13-05-14, 05:21 PM

Bill,

I can't say I've ever seen this practice with any Black Watch of Canada epaulets.

What order of dress are these tartan epaulets purported to be from?

Cheers,

Adam
Old 13-05-14, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

I think I need to clarify the point about tartan epaulets. They were not a standard dress practice by all officers of a regiment, but in my understanding, officers that wished to had permission to do so in regiments that allowed the practice.
Hello Adam, The boards were worn on the shirt sleeve orders of dress, (that I remember) or the bush jacket. This was circa 1968-69. The Lorne Scots set that I have was one of two, and they are designed so they may slip over a shoulder strap without damaging the shirt or other garment. (The same set up as the pair Gary shows in his post.) It is possible that they may have also been worn on mess kit, but the Lorne Scots pair came from a fellow who served in NW Europe after the end of the war and did not have mess kit.
Old 14-05-14, 03:27 PM

Bill,

Interesting. I'll be sure to let you know if I spot anything similar in the future.

On another note, I got some "Canada" titles recently that I can't positively identify, and am stumped by, so will be looking for your input (and that of others) soon as I can get some photos sorted.

Cheers,

Adam