British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-14, 08:10 PM

Default Transkie wings

Good to see this thread has got back to business of Selous and not Peter s issues which should be off line totally !
Most Transkie wings for sale are fake , not many were issued - as James said they were numbered or have a hallmark .. A dealer makes them in Johannesburg and puts - SILV - on the back but as far as I am aware these are fake .. I dont think many were ever issued...

Some of my Transkei stuff ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7448_10152927209535464_437108155_n.jpg (59.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 1044806_10152927209380464_1280558534_n.jpg (58.2 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by swende; 01-05-14 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-06-14, 10:10 PM

Continuing on the Transkei SF theme I picked this Maroon beret up on Bid or buy and have mounted my Transkei SF badge on it. I’m now looking for a stable belt and Tupperware shoulder flashes.

Last edited by Loski; 07-12-14 at 12:52 PM.
Old 22-03-15, 09:35 PM

Default Selous Scouts

I was just wondering if anyone would like to see my Selous Scouts beret, it has a different maker, the label inside says BOINA MILITAR de O.G.F.E. fnil662 p.p58.
The leather band shows signs of quite a bit of wear, the badge has no markings on the back and the lugs have been folded down to hold it in place, this appears to be the only badge to be fitted as there are no other holes.
this was a car boot find [ there was no other militaria ] and I paid the princely sum of £8.00, the question is did I do well ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg club badge 069.jpg (89.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg club badge 070.jpg (118.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg club badge 072.jpg (114.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg club badge 074.jpg (89.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 23-03-15, 12:20 AM
Banned

Question is whether the beret and the badge was worn in that period or is it made up?
Answer: toss a coin in the air and pick one side because you'll never know.
Boina Militar de OGFE berets were worn by Portugese in Mozambique at that time before they left in about 1975. Have heard rumours that some were worn by some Selous Scouts.
My opinion is I have never seen any evidence to confirm that and it's probably doubtful. All the berets I have seen were made in Botswana.
Old 02-04-15, 09:49 PM

The beret that I have has been well worn, you mention that you have heard rumours to say that some were worn by Selous Scouts, could you expand on that please ?
Old 02-04-15, 10:00 PM
Banned

Well worn doesn't mean it was worn by a Selous Scout. These berets are probably more made up than any other Rhodesian beret on the market yet the RLI one is a lot harder to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbairnsykes View Post
The beret that I have has been well worn, you mention that you have heard rumours to say that some were worn by Selous Scouts, could you expand on that please ?
Just a couple of rumours I heard bandied around by a couple of collectors many years ago but rumours aren't fact and one has to be aware that if someone believes a story and then tells someone else and enough people hear it that it's sometimes presumed it's fact.
I'm not saying these weren't worn but I am saying I have never seen any evidence of it.
Old 03-04-15, 08:41 AM

I certainly would not buy one of these as an actual Selous Scouts beret!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
Question is whether the beret and the badge was worn in that period or is it made up?
Answer: toss a coin in the air and pick one side because you'll never know.
Boina Militar de OGFE berets were worn by Portugese in Mozambique at that time before they left in about 1975. Have heard rumours that some were worn by some Selous Scouts.
My opinion is I have never seen any evidence to confirm that and it's probably doubtful. All the berets I have seen were made in Botswana.
Old 03-04-15, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I certainly would not buy one of these as an actual Selous Scouts beret!
Yes my sentiments as well.
Old 03-04-15, 04:35 PM

I agree about rumours started by dealers, they are usually trying to sell something at a great profit.
When I found this, it was amongst a fair bit of bric a brac, there was no other militaria, and the guy selling it didn't know anything about it [ and to be honest neither did I till I got home ] but it was cheap, and for a circa 1975 beret it has done some travelling to end up in a car boot sale in the UK.
I did wonder when you said rumours, for many an ex-serviceman has said "I had one of those".
Old 03-04-15, 10:00 PM
Banned

Most ex servicemen I have spoken to have no idea about the insignia, berets, or patches that they wore. As one former SASR officer told me years ago that he only wore the thing he didn't study it.

I once owned Rhodesian medals that had been sold to an American, then an Englishman, then an Australian, then another Australian (Me) and then a South African. Militaria has travelled world wide for decades, more since the availability of the internet.

Different items pop up in the most unlikely places with little or no explanation. I have a particular RhSAS para wing that I bought in Scotland that no-one that I know has seen one quite like it and the seller didn't know much either.

I have seen dozens of made up Rhodesian berets and many made up uniforms. I don't know if the one you have is made up, I can only give you my opinion which I have done. My opinions are based on facts and experience but I don't claim to know everything.
Old 05-04-15, 01:11 PM

This is the first beret of the Selous Scouts [sic] that I have seen [I had heard the name and the badge looked familiar], and at a boot sale, I have found you have to be quick, there is no time for research [thats why I look to this forum]. When I buy something that I dont know about it has to be as cheap if not cheaper than I would expect a copy to be, and look right, wear, holes that line up ,colour, patina and smell etc, even if the beret was made in Botswana and he asked £30 I would probably have left it, too much money especially if you haven't a clue what you are looking at.
What if it didn't have the makers label, then what ?
I do appreciate people opinions thats why I asked the question, thank you.
Old 22-04-15, 02:11 PM

Back In the late 80's early 90's those brown Portugese berets were 2 a penny new in their paper bags here in the UK.
Old 04-11-18, 04:10 PM

Thoughts on the wings would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (28).jpg (81.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (29).jpg (47.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-11-18, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loski View Post
Back In the late 80's early 90's those brown Portugese berets were 2 a penny new in their paper bags here in the UK.
Yep, still got one in its bag, also the beigey-yellow.
I think it's the brown one that has green and red ribbon ties, the other black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181107_133446487~2.jpg (50.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181107_133911703~2.jpg (57.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181107_133501775~2.jpg (53.1 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 07-11-18 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Images added Berets aquired "Surplus Supplies", Regina St, Cambridge c1980.
Old 05-11-18, 04:34 AM

Fairbairnsykes,

Sorry sir, the beret you have is a made up one. The Selous Scout beret is a more chocolate colour. The beret you have is a Portuguese Cacadores beret in the famous Chestnut Brown colour that stems from the uniforms worn by the Cacadores (hunters) during the war in Spain. These were the Portuguese equivalents of "Sharpes Rifles" fame. Very prestigious.

The band is either leather or vinyl. Leather stands up fairly well, but is susceptable to mold from storage. The vinyl cracks relatively easily. The drawstring on these berets were in green with the other end in red. This beret was worn during the wars in Africa and later in Metropolitan Portugal. I believe it's still worn today.

A lot of these are made up as genuine Scout berets are relatively rare now. Also look out for ones made up from the Royal Hussars beret, which is a Reddish Brown colour. The badge maybe genuine so all is not lost. Should have "Reutler" on reverse if Aluminium and Officers silver will have same with Silver imprinted.

Clay