British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-09-16, 06:45 PM

Default Dimensions of TMI and ILI badges?

Dear all,
you'll see in the "want to buy" section that I am hoping to put together a display of the badges of the units who served at Spion Kop 24 January 1900. The display will be as a thank-you present for the lodge at Three Tree Hill, at the base of the Kop, in Natal.

I shall buy real (if affordable) or copy (more affordable) badges or helmet plate centres (Boer War era) for the following units:

South Lancashires
Lancashire Fusiliers
Royal Lancasters
2nd Dorsets
2nd Middlesex
2nd Scottish Rifles
Kings Royal Rifle Corps
Royal Engineers
RAMC

Now, for Thorneycroft’s Mounted Infantry and Imperial Light Infantry: I plan to make my own TMI and ILI badge copies from sheet brass using a jeweller's saw, so I would be grateful to know the dimensions of these badges, and the thickness of the brass sheet I need.
I also understand the TMI title was worn on the slouch hat with a crown above it - did the same apply to ILI (or did they dissolve after almost 100% casualties at Spion Kop?). How big was the QVC crown above TMI?

I do not intend to deceive, rest assured, but any suggestions appreciated!

thanks for any helpful suggestions.
Rob
Old 10-09-16, 08:48 PM

Rob,
A mate of mine has some display boards ex-Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery that were done up for a Boer War display. One has a well known photo of the TMI on it and I am fairly certain that they are wearing the large letters TMI in cloth (red or similar colour) on the turned up brim of their slouch hats.

The consensus is that these were definitely not Tasmanian Mounted Infantry. I will have to inquire further.
Keith
Old 11-09-16, 11:09 AM

Hi Rob,

For the TMI and ILI, Owen's is full size and there are 2 designs. I'm not sure of the plate thickness.

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD View Post
Dear all,
you'll see in the "want to buy" section that I am hoping to put together a display of the badges of the units who served at Spion Kop 24 January 1900. The display will be as a thank-you present for the lodge at Three Tree Hill, at the base of the Kop, in Natal.

I shall buy real (if affordable) or copy (more affordable) badges or helmet plate centres (Boer War era) for the following units:

South Lancashires
Lancashire Fusiliers
Royal Lancasters
2nd Dorsets
2nd Middlesex
2nd Scottish Rifles
Kings Royal Rifle Corps
Royal Engineers
RAMC

Now, for Thorneycroft’s Mounted Infantry and Imperial Light Infantry: I plan to make my own TMI and ILI badge copies from sheet brass using a jeweller's saw, so I would be grateful to know the dimensions of these badges, and the thickness of the brass sheet I need.
I also understand the TMI title was worn on the slouch hat with a crown above it - did the same apply to ILI (or did they dissolve after almost 100% casualties at Spion Kop?). How big was the QVC crown above TMI?

I do not intend to deceive, rest assured, but any suggestions appreciated!

thanks for any helpful suggestions.
Rob

Last edited by iaindh; 12-09-16 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-09-16, 01:48 PM

Quite frankly Iain, I think that is more than enough, unless the intention is to deceive!
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Rob,

For the TMI and ILI, Owen's is full size and there are 2 designs. I'm not sure of the plate thickness.

regards, Iain
Old 11-09-16, 09:05 PM

Here are my copies - good enough for my purpose.
I've ensured they don't look like originals, and I've left the back untouched to ensure they are never mistaken as originals.
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badges1.jpg (31.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg badges2.jpg (33.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-09-16, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD View Post
Here are my copies - good enough for my purpose.
I've ensured they don't look like originals, and I've left the back untouched to ensure they are never mistaken as originals.
Rob
Hi Rob, I appreciate the effort in making sure that no one thinks that they are original in the future. Maybe you could engrave "copy" on the back to make 100% sure some youngster doesn't pick them up as originals when we are all gone and buried. . Have a grand day. Andrew
Old 12-09-16, 11:19 AM

Thanks Andrew - I will do that!