British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-16, 05:19 PM

Default South African Lapel Badges, WW2 Era

Are WW2 period South African "Home Front" lapel badges being faked?

I have just won this small collection of them and, in researching what they are, I do not seem to have paid what others have paid in the past.

Are there fakes about, or have I just been very lucky?

I have no other South African lapel badges to compare them with, but they seem to be very well made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg South African Lapels.jpg (71.4 KB, 65 views)
Old 16-02-16, 03:39 AM

Hi,
To my knowledge these have never been faked. They are pretty common in South Africa and can be bought for between 50p and GBP5 depending on the particular item.

You have from lt to rt:
1. Civilian Protection Service membership badge
2. South African Womans Auxiliary Service membership badge
3. Smuts party badge (not military)
4. National Service badge
5. Loyal Service badge (for war time service)
6. 1942 Cavalcade badge (fundraising event in 1942 and also in 1944. comes in bronze, silver and gilt)
7. On Service badge for essential service workers doing there bit.
8. Different pattern National Service badge
9. Smuts Victory badge
Old 17-02-16, 09:30 AM

Milmed

Very many thanks for the reply, which has set my mind at rest. Also, for "going the extra mile" in identifying the badges.

I suppose these sell for more away from the home ground? Either that or the individual items I came across were being sold by "chancers"
Old 05-06-16, 02:09 PM

Thanks for this interesting and helpful information.

Would anyone be able to indicate whether or not there is any particular significance to the numbering on the reverse of these badges?

I understand that they were registered to a particular user (although I have read that the nominal roll linking badges to the names of recipients has, sadly, been lost?), so what I'm actually wondering about is:

- I have noticed that they tend to be numbered such that is a single number (I've seen , 1, 2, and 4) at the top of the reverse;
- followed by a 3 digit number at the bottom;
- therefore, I am wondering if there any significance to this numbering style -- ie., do the single digits at the top represent anything in particular?

Cheers,

Glen,
In Our Dominion of the North
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA Loyal Service Badge WWII rev.jpg (43.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 20-06-16, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceylon Collector View Post
Thanks for this interesting and helpful information.

Would anyone be able to indicate whether or not there is any particular significance to the numbering on the reverse of these badges?

I understand that they were registered to a particular user (although I have read that the nominal roll linking badges to the names of recipients has, sadly, been lost?), so what I'm actually wondering about is:

- I have noticed that they tend to be numbered such that is a single number (I've seen , 1, 2, and 4) at the top of the reverse;
- followed by a 3 digit number at the bottom;
- therefore, I am wondering if there any significance to this numbering style -- ie., do the single digits at the top represent anything in particular?

Cheers,

Glen,
In Our Dominion of the North
Glen they were individually issued, I was very lucky to find an "On War Service" badge still attached to its issue card. If I recal correctly it was for service at the SA Mint? Handed back at the end of the War, number and card were mating numbers.

All one long number just broken up.

Brian