British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-11-12, 10:25 PM

Default Scots Guards - Identification ?

I am hoping that some member might be able to positively identify the below attached / illustrated item of what I believe (?) is Scots Guards insignia.

The badge 'may' be silver but bears no makers marks, or hallmarks.

It is excellent quality, with a proper green enamelled (not glass or plastic sheet) background under the gilt thistle.

The badge is large and impressive measuring approx 90mm between the points North to South, and 75mm across West to East.

The raised central gilt and enamel centre is attached to the reverse of the badge by 2 x blades. The reverse of the badge has 4 x brass eyelets which pass through a slightly larger brass plate and are secured by long narrow pins veritcally and hornizontally. Attached to the upper or weareres porton of the brass base plate is a long whilte metal hinged pin with intricate latch clasp

Apart form Pipers - I cannot envisage any Scots Guards headress upon which this badge could be worn.

I have not come across such an item of insignia before, so need help to indentify who would have worn this, when and as what item of insignia.

Whether an item worn on headress or on uniform I would like to know......

In advance thanks

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scots Guards Obverse.jpg (65.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Scots Guards reverse.jpg (46.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-11-12, 10:51 PM

Possibly a version of "The Star of the Order of the Thistle".

Marc
Old 06-11-12, 11:38 PM

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your reply, and thought on the item.

I too had toyed with the idea that it might be a variant type of 'Order of the Thistle' breast star - the size and the pin-back fittings would certainly lend support to that - however the badge here illustrated has one major difference to a conventional Thistle Star, specifically the actual thistle on the star of the order is always fully enamelled - but this badge here illustrated is not.

The badge above illustrated only has a gilt thistle on top of a green enamelled background - perhaps a cheaper Continental made customised breast star?

Certainly still a mystery to me.

Yours aye,
Mark
Old 25-05-13, 02:02 PM

Default Positively Identified

I can now advise that the insignia illustrated at the top of this thread has been positively identified.

It is a Scots Guards Officers Shoulder Belt Star, as worn by Officers on top of their shoulder multi-part shoulder belt plates.

The silver star was mounted on top of a brass backing plate in the outline/shape of the star, and both were fixed on top of the gilt shoulder belt plate.

A fine (circa 1900) example of a complete shoulder belt star and plate was auctioned by Thomas Del Mar in their sale of 7 December 2011, see Lot 251, which together with a couple of related Scots Guards Officers waistbelt plates realised a hammer price of GBP 1100.

As information.