British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-08-16, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
Can anyone tell me anything about this small ZAR badge? I have had it for many years, never seen a brass or WM example, only this lead one.
Thanks
I suspect this might be a re-enactment badge? Never seen one before, your picture is not very clear, yes, need to see the reverse.

Regards
Brian
Old 10-08-16, 11:52 PM

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, just back from out of town. The reverse is flat with no attachments ever there. I think this might have been one of my grandfather's badges, if so, it has been in the family for 80 years or more and was not made for re-enactment. When I was a kid I wondered for years what it was, and when I found out I became interested in ZAR badges.
When able I will take some better scans.
Old 12-08-16, 07:08 AM

ZAR badges and accoutrements were made here in Great Britain and in Germany, I'd be interested in seeing clear photographs of both obverse and reverse if you have any, it's certainly not what I would ever expected to see, one does wonder where it came from and if it is contemporary to the republic.