British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-08-12, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
Thank you so much John! Brilliant information. I will search and read here as much I can.... mainly from my own sleeping time when kids are on bed.

Here is my today's arrival from Cork. Large 28mm button:

Hi Guys,
can anyone show me or tell me whether the 7th bn. RDF had a colour patch that was worn on the puggaree of the Wolseley FS Helmet in Gallipoli?

You the mothers who sent your sons wipe away your tears.
Old 08-10-12, 08:18 PM

Here is two regular collar badges what I have. Because there is slight differences, I just wanted to check is it possible to narrow down different periods here or is it just a case of different maker and the fact that one is well worn?

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 11-10-12, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Here is two regular collar badges what I have. Because there is slight differences, I just wanted to check is it possible to narrow down different periods here or is it just a case of different maker and the fact that one is well worn?
I think they are just makers variations and one has been well worn/polished.
Old 12-10-12, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
I think they are just makers variations and one has been well worn/polished.
I agree there appears to have been no intentional change of design from adoption c. 1881 to disbandment according to the RACD register of changes that I have examined and as stated in Churchills book.
Old 11-03-13, 11:06 PM

I thought I would add my example of the OR's collar badge which from its condition I assume is a good original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RDF collar.jpg (48.9 KB, 23 views)

Jerry
Old 27-03-13, 08:19 PM

Default Boer War shoulder titles

Both the DF with detached grenade above (matching the embroidered version on tunics and frocks) and the DF with grenade in the middle were worn during the Boer War. There are good pictures (which I don't have digital copies of) of 2nd battalion prisoners and men manning an armored train with the version with the grenade in the middle (you can also see the vents on the tops of their helmets that they have painted green). The pictures of bugler Dunne (back in England) show the DF with detached grenade above. Dunne was in one of the companies of the 1st battalion attached to the second battalion that fought at Colenso. My guess is that the two battalions wore different titles at that time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61lhbTBeFKL._SS500_.jpg (67.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg RDF.jpg (87.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 20-05-13, 10:16 PM

Hi Looks like MF to me the Munster Fusiliers? In reference to the studio photo of the soldier showing his left shoulder title!
Fergus

Last edited by dirtyshirt; 31-01-16 at 04:44 PM.
Old 26-05-13, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpiper View Post
Both the DF with detached grenade above (matching the embroidered version on tunics and frocks) and the DF with grenade in the middle were worn during the Boer War. There are good pictures (which I don't have digital copies of) of 2nd battalion prisoners and men manning an armored train with the version with the grenade in the middle (you can also see the vents on the tops of their helmets that they have painted green). The pictures of bugler Dunne (back in England) show the DF with detached grenade above. Dunne was in one of the companies of the 1st battalion attached to the second battalion that fought at Colenso. My guess is that the two battalions wore different titles at that time.
Yes that is correct. I have noticed that in other photos in the past. It seems pretty clear that the 1st and 2nd Battalions RDF had that differential at that time.
Old 26-05-13, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyshirt View Post
Hi Looks like MF to me the Munster Fusiliers?
Fergus
Bugler Dunne is a very famous Dublin Fusilier.
Old 28-05-13, 09:19 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't think that a tiger with front paw raised and another with front paw on ground constitutes a slight difference.
GTB
Old 28-05-13, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
I wouldn't think that a tiger with front paw raised and another with front paw on ground constitutes a slight difference.
GTB
The front paw is definitely raised on both, but on one more so than the other. Hence the slight difference. The configuration of the RDFs tiger and elephant rarely strayed from the Heraldic description laid down in the sealed pattern, it was just a matter of how the badge maker's artist depicted the stance.
Old 29-05-13, 05:59 PM

This came in two parts from a local car boot for 40pence. I thought it was worth getting it repaired by Dave. I think its a collar badge for an antecedent regiment to the RDF?

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bomfus.jpg (45.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg rbf.jpg (56.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 29-05-13, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark holden View Post
This came in two parts from a local car boot for 40pence. I thought it was worth getting it repaired by Dave. I think its a collar badge for an antecedent regiment to the RDF?

Mark
Mark

103rd Regiment which became 2 Bn R.D.F

John
Old 29-05-13, 07:51 PM

Thanks John!
Old 01-06-13, 09:41 PM

Mark,

I am not sure whether you have Churchill's book on Infantry Collar Badges, I happened to be going through it recently and saw the following which I thought I would post in case you did not have the book.

This collar badge you have is pattern 9748 sealed 26th November 1880, a very short lived item when one considers it was superceeded by pattern 10136, sealed on 8th March 1882.

John

Tags
royal dublin fusiliers