British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-02-15, 03:30 AM

Default Munster Fusiliers S Title - image analysis help

attached is a well known image of the officers of 1 RMF at Fermoy in 1889 before deployment to S. Africa.

It is the best resolution example of this image I have been able to get yet. One can see that shoulder titles are worn on the khaki jacket. I have cropped it to keep the file size within upload limits and with the individuals that show the title most clearly.

can anyone help me out with identifying the title?, perhaps some one with good image analysis capabilities.

thanks in advance

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rmf officers in Fermoy higher definition 001 cropped.jpg (79.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 30-01-16, 06:17 PM

Hi John,
got to check the original printed copy of the attached but it's still not really clear unfortunately. I missed an auction by Wallis & Wallis in 1999 of a Munster Officers Field Service Cap as are in this photograph and it definitely had a "bullion embroidered badge with silver tiger, and silver gilt buttons" It was of blue cloth with red piping and was made by Hawkes & Co 1 Saville Row, London.
Old 30-01-16, 06:58 PM

Fergus

I have made some very good progress on officers shoulder titles since I posted this, I shall PM you to discuss. I have an article for The Bengal Tiger which on officers collar badges, titles WBC's etc. which I think will run in 2017.

Regarding the officer's FSC at Wallis & Wallis was the badge a full dress collar badge (such as below right) or a vertical design (such as left)?

I see evidence of a wide variety of badges worn in the photos I have.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Officers mess dress colalr badge.jpg (41.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg RMF Officers FSC badge.jpg (21.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 30-01-16, 07:53 PM

Hi again John,
it was very similar to the one on the left, a mess dress type but tilted at an angle North East!
Old 30-01-16, 07:56 PM

It is what appears to be illustrated in Mrs Rickard's book in Col Ryans photo, with the black being the base of the tiger? In fact looking at the mess dress badge that could also be why the tiger is tilted.
Fergus