British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-04-19, 04:54 PM

Default Latest scam.

Hi, Just a warning as 3 people I work with got scammed last week, you get a text message from DVLA about your car tax. and they need you to fill in the form linked asap, then when you send it it disables your phone and the scammers try to empty your bank account or in 1 case cloned card. regards John
Old 01-04-19, 07:12 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Be aware also of similar scams involving TV licences paid by direct debit and Virginmedia. In both cases an email arrives saying that direct debit payments have been refused and that too need to re-enter all details.
Which of course would result in your bank account being emptied......some people have been taken in by it.
Old 02-04-19, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
Be aware also of similar scams involving TV licences paid by direct debit and Virginmedia. In both cases an email arrives saying that direct debit payments have been refused and that too need to re-enter all details.
Which of course would result in your bank account being emptied......some people have been taken in by it.
My wife had the TV licence scam email...

Jerry
Old 02-04-19, 07:50 AM

And of course there's the "your PayPal account has been locked, click on this link to reactivate it" one (seemed to pop up after I bought eBay items from China for some reason), and the "you are entitled to an income tax refund, clink on this link etc" one.
Old 03-04-19, 02:17 AM

I seem to be getting calls from a lot of nice people offering to remotely fix my computer for me....
Old 03-04-19, 06:18 AM

and buying rare badges for unbelievable prices ...
Old 03-04-19, 07:27 AM

Bill gates has a team offering to fix my computer from Microsoft, my internet provider is going to turn off my service today and they also tell me I've got an issue with my speed and need to fix that, but it's funny how when I have had problems I get stuck with Mike in Mumbai or Dave from Delhi and after an hour of speaking to someone I can hardly understand I feel like slashing my wrists when I phone them.
Old 03-04-19, 08:23 AM

With Caller Display I always find that when I answer 'Hello Dorking Police Station, Surrey Police, how can I help?' to international numbers they tend to decide that my Computer, vehicle accident, refund error is no longer an issue they wish to discuss!

Its almost become a sport to see how quickly they hang up!

Simon.
Old 03-04-19, 10:37 AM

Whenever I get such a caller, I ask them to hold on a minute & then tell them that the call is now being recorded & that if I suspect any criminal activity, it will be passed onto the police.

Hearing these people suddenly evacuate their bowels is most amusing!

Last edited by Another Bubble; 03-04-19 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling