British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-08-10, 09:30 PM

Default 75th Lunenburg Regt. Officers

I thought I would share a recent addition to my collection with you. I normally do not buy militia badges but due to the lack of Nova Scotia CEF badges that are on the market and wanting badges to add to medal groups I thought I would add militia badges from the 1910 to 1914 period. The badge in question I believe was introduced in 1904 and was used just prior to WW1. It is made by J.R. Gaunt and appears to have been gilded at one time only traces remain on the front but the back has most of the original gilding. The numeral "75" has overlay in white metal and four solder holes can be seen in the back to attach it to the badge. The badge seems fairly scarce as I have only seen two examples in 30 years.

Enjoy
Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02252.jpg (56.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02254.jpg (33.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02255.jpg (57.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-08-10, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Stephen, Nice badge, and as you say, seldom seen. I was looking at the Pre-1914 Mazeas, and I wonder if your badge is the officer's pattern? And the more common Bluenose badge was for the other ranks?
Old 08-08-10, 10:18 PM

Hi Bill

There is a version of the Schooner badge made by Gaunt, these I believe started about 1910 at least that is what the O.R.s badges are dated, that is gilded as well I have the collars but never came across a badge but I am told they exist from others that have had them. One other thing is that I have never been able to track down is collars for the other ranks pre-1914 I am sure they had them but I just never been able to add them to my collection. I have not seen the badge I have shown above in a O.R.s badge. I have not seen many photos of the Lunenburg Regt. before the end of WW1 to compare badges but you see a few from the WW1 period photos of the 93rd for example and they are wearing just about anything it seems. I do have a list of a inventory of a officer of the 75th done in 1914 and for the O.R.s they only list the numerals and the badge with the schooner. I do not recall Helmet plates on the list I will recheck it later.

Stephen
Old 08-08-10, 11:15 PM

Hi Stephen and Bill. My officers issue has the same makers mark as yours, J.R.Gaunt Montreal. My ORs version has P.W.ELLIS & CO on the front of the badge (lower rt. edge of the shield) and 1910 on the reverse upper rt corner of the shield. Both seem fairly rare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75a-1.jpg (63.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 75BK-1.jpg (98.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-08-10, 01:04 AM

Hi Greg

Thanks for sharing your badges it is great to be able to compare mine with another.

My Officers collars are the same as your Ellis badge but are cast and stamped gaunt both are gilded as well. one interesting thing I did find when going through some of the 75th Records I have is that a collar was worth .12 cents each in May 1916. Also the Ellis badges were issued to "A" company in 1912. It would indicate that the 1904 pattern was in use until at least then by the officers I suspect it was likely longer given some of the photos I have seen of other local regiments. I also noted on the form that the numerals held by "A" company were issued in 1904 so it nay be that the 1904 badge was just for officers.

Stephen
Old 10-08-10, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the added info Stephen. I wonder if there are photos out there to add further evidence to the documents you have uncovered?

I rarely see any Maritime badges here in BC. Pre-WW1 badges from just about anywhere are almost unheard of out here so when I see them I buy them assuming I have the dollars to do so. I note that there are some choice confederation era NS badges on ebay right now. Super rare and no doubt far beyond my pocketbook.

Regards,

Greg
Old 10-08-10, 10:15 PM

Hi Greg

I got to personally view most of the Nova Scotia badges on eBay at least the ones sold by a local dealer. The badges are in good shape I almost bought the 63rd Halifax Rifles badge and collars. The Nova Scotia militia helmet plate is rather nice but outside my field I try and stick to local 1910-1920 period. I still have a number of holes to fill mainly N.S. corps troops WW1 officers badges and collars I should have bought them years ago when I seen them. Someday I should do up a want list.

The same thing you experience there with Pre WW1 Nova Scotia material it is the same here with B.C. material. Likely a regional thing due to the interest of local collectors. I do see the odd WW1 badge but they are normally not very plentiful.

Someday I will have to brave the traffic and the fight for parking and visit the provincial archives. I do have a number of medal groups I am researching and I could look for some turn of the century militia photos.

Good Hunting
Stephen
Old 05-01-23, 12:26 AM

This is an old thread but I thought I would post some photos of of my 75th Lunenburg Officers’ cap badge AND collar dogs.
Old 05-01-23, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Beautiful badges.
Old 07-01-23, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Beautiful badges.
I quite agree Bill. I have grouped them together with Lunenburg Regiment badges and badges of of their perpetuated CEF battalion, the 219th.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7927BEB1-F037-445F-90DA-1252F70CEFF1.jpg (53.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-01-23, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

There may be a bi-metal Lunenburg Regt officer's badge.