British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-15, 07:37 AM

Default Vintage Light Infantry Badge?

Hi, I am hoping somebody might be able to help ID this badge for me.

I found it while metal detecting in North Northumberland. I came across one image of a very similar badge that was found in America.

So far all I have been able to discover through an image search is that the bugle normally belongs to a light infantry regiment. This one appears to be much simpler than the ones I can find online which makes me wonder if it is quite early.

Any help with identifying the regiment and age would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Old 01-06-15, 03:50 PM

Hello
when I see the lugs, probably ammo (cartridges) leather box badge ??
cordially
Didier
Old 01-06-15, 07:33 PM

Hi Cofty
Congratulations on a very interesting "find".
I tend to agree with Didier on this one, ie that it is a Lt.Inf cartridge box badge, and yes, it has a definite 18th Centy "look" about it. Is it brass ? Regards Jeff
Old 01-06-15, 10:03 PM

Thanks to you both.

That is really useful, I was wondering why it had 3 tags and thought it looked a bit big for a cap badge.

I think it is brass or some similar copper alloy. It came out the ground in very good condition with a nice greenish patina.

Is there any way to ID a specific regiment or would it be generic to Light Infantry?

The field I found it in has also given up lots of 18th Century coins and artefacts. I found it just a few yards from my house so it's nice to add a little bit to local history.

I'm surprised to hear that guns in that period had cartridges. I must do some research. I have found lots of lead musket balls in the same area.

Many thanks for the information. Bill
Old 02-06-15, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofty View Post
Thanks to you both.

That is really useful, I was wondering why it had 3 tags and thought it looked a bit big for a cap badge.

I think it is brass or some similar copper alloy. It came out the ground in very good condition with a nice greenish patina.

Is there any way to ID a specific regiment or would it be generic to Light Infantry?

The field I found it in has also given up lots of 18th Century coins and artefacts. I found it just a few yards from my house so it's nice to add a little bit to local history.

I'm surprised to hear that guns in that period had cartridges. I must do some research. I have found lots of lead musket balls in the same area.

Many thanks for the information. Bill

Just wondering , would the light companies of all regiments have had a bugle horn somewhere in their dress.
Old 02-06-15, 10:53 AM

Hello Crofty

'Cartridge' in this context does not mean the modern metallic cased round of ammunition but a paper wrapped musket ball and measured charge of gunpowder.

In essence the cartridge was ripped open and the powder poured down the barrel, followed by the musket ball and the paper was forced home and used as wadding to keep the powder and ball in place (probably an overly-simplified explanation!).

The thick paper used was called cartridge paper, a term which still exists for a particular grade of paper today.

Regards
Roger

Tags
bugle, light infantry