British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-20, 08:45 AM

Default USAAF insignia - 9th Air Force & USAAF patches

I have just acquired the attached three patches, shown in the first two photos. These include a fully embroidered USAAF patch and two 9th Air Force patches; one fully embroidered and one embroidered on felt.

I normally only 'Buy British' - in the sense of collecting British items - but, these caught my attention as my grandfather was attached to 9th Troop Carrier Command USAAF on liaison duties during 1944. He would not have worn these, as he was British Airborne and only attached for liaison purposes. As I understand it, men in 9th TCC USAAF initially wore the USAAF patch, then the 9th Air Force patch and finally a 9th TCC patch introduced in late-1944 (and sometimes a combination of these on different arms).

Anyway, I would appreciate any opinions on these patches, as my knowledge is limited on 'things-American'? I would be interested in any insights on authenticity, as well as place and period of manufacture. I believe that fully embroidered patches were issue version made in the USA. Whereas those on felt were made in the UK.

I should mention that I already have the other patches shown in the second two photos, of which I am fully convinced of their authenticity. While the 9th Air Force patch is on felt, it is a bit different to the similar one now acquired. Also, the USAAF patch is of slightly different design in terms of the wing feathers, although to me looks identical to the pattern shown in the album https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ictureid=21172
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200402_090704.jpg (69.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200402_090734.jpg (87.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200402_091148.jpg (66.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200402_091210.jpg (81.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by DougSA; 02-04-20 at 08:51 AM.