British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-09-21, 03:05 PM

[QUOTE=Jack8;560704]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBB View Post
I believe that if the design shows on the reverse it is a copy, originals should have a plain reverse.

Please can say how you know this as I have a Timmings badge and would like to know if it is definitely fake or not?
Hi Jack, I think Jerry is referring to the reverse of the badge itself being plain for original not the slider when maker marked.

Gerard
Old 28-09-21, 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=gb64;560710]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack8 View Post

Hi Jack, I think Jerry is referring to the reverse of the badge itself being plain for original not the slider when maker marked.

Gerard
Hi Gerard, it is the plain reverse and not the slider that I need to clarify on the SWB badge and also whether all genuine anodised badges in general have a plain reverse.

Jack.
Old 28-09-21, 04:58 PM

Quote:
It's not my collecting field, I just have a few random examples and having just examined them they do have a plain reverse except the SWB, so do all genuine anodised badge have a plain reverse?

Jack.
No Jack is the simple answer. There are numerous variations by different manufacturers which have slight differences in them. Whether that be back,front,fittings etc.
Of the 500 odd British anodised cap badges there are very few that have been produced by a single maker.
Old 28-09-21, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
No Jack is the simple answer. There are numerous variations by different manufacturers which have slight differences in them. Whether that be back,front,fittings etc.
Of the 500 odd British anodised cap badges there are very few that have been produced by a single maker.

Thanks Mike, so the SWB one of the very few to be produced by a single maker, making the Smith and Wright and Timmings marked badges fakes?
Old 28-09-21, 06:32 PM

No Jack. SWB marked are legit badges,the blank slider ones are believed to have been used by the SWB cadets.
Somerset Light Infantry has a Smith & Wright mark,no other maker is known. Thats an example of a single maker badge.
Old 28-09-21, 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=Jack8;560712]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb64 View Post

Hi Gerard, it is the plain reverse and not the slider that I need to clarify on the SWB badge and also whether all genuine anodised badges in general have a plain reverse.

Jack.
Ok Jack i see, my mistake miss read the post

Gerard
Old 28-09-21, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
No Jack. SWB marked are legit badges,the blank slider ones are believed to have been used by the SWB cadets.
Somerset Light Infantry has a Smith & Wright mark,no other maker is known. Thats an example of a single maker badge.
Thanks Mike.

Jack
Old 28-09-21, 07:59 PM

Here is the SOMERSET LI with SMITH & WRIGHT LTD. makers mark.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 491B7FEF-E9C4-4464-AB36-25DEA9E2CF47.jpeg (82.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg C6A68752-FFCB-4A02-8C15-CBEB222419A6.jpg (81.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 28-09-21, 08:14 PM

Nice to see a whole SLI anod al beret badge - I've had one on a beret for years but it's minus its scroll.
Old 28-09-21, 08:45 PM

Quote:
It's not my collecting field, I just have a few random examples and having just examined them they do have a plain reverse except the SWB, so do all genuine anodised badge have a plain reverse?

Jack.
I don't think so, but the SWB and the Welch should not have the design showing on the reverse. I do not mean makers markings just the badge design.

As previously commented, your swb by timmings is unusual, and does seem to go against the norm for this badge, but better people than I did not dismiss it so I can only assume it is an unusual but original badge.

I have an unmarked example with the design on the rear which is considered to be a 70's/80's London seller badge

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...rderers&page=2

Jerry
Old 28-09-21, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBB View Post
I don't think so, but the SWB and the Welch should not have the design showing on the reverse. I do not mean makers markings just the badge design.

As previously commented, your swb by timmings is unusual, and does seem to go against the norm for this badge, but better people than I did not dismiss it so I can only assume it is an unusual but original badge.

I have an unmarked example with the design on the rear which is considered to be a 70's/80's London seller badge

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...rderers&page=2
Thanks Jerry, as I said it's not my collecting field and surplus to requirements, but it's good to know that it is regarded by some as original and genuine.

Jack.
Old 28-09-21, 09:18 PM

Thanks Jerry. Reading that thread then it seems there was an anodised SWB with a Timings slider. Chris Marsh's book says they were only made by Dowler but the thread suggests this is perhaps incomplete information.
Old 29-09-21, 07:42 AM

OK a few just for interest. First my Timings example, which I'm not happy with at all and is likely a fake/copy etc.

Secondly the unmarked slider version, which does appear to have a Gaunt looking slider. Possibly a made for cadet badge, however, I suspect a 70's copy . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210928_200812.jpg (118.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20210928_200821.jpg (119.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20210928_200901.jpg (120.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20210928_200910.jpg (119.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 29-09-21, 07:46 AM

My Dowler example, which I would hold as the most original, it's what is on the pattern card and has the right feel and solid back of a good example early anodised badge.

Lastly, the early all gold trial pattern, which has the same construction as the wide 1st pattern RAOC - with unusual folded back integral lugs.

Purely for interests sake folks.
Old 02-10-21, 03:29 PM

nice to see the two Dowler examples and the lugged version is very unusual, do we have a maker for that type? The strike is very different and of course it has the mirror reverse usually only seen on the copies.

The gaunt die copies have the mirror reverse and it seems perhaps the timmings with the same feature as well might be copies, which is not from the gaunt die so not the dealer copies from the 70's/80's?

I think GGA's is the same die as the timmings from Jack?

here is my plain slider with mirror reverse which I believe is a 70's/80's fake from the gaunt die?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2478.jpg (64.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2479.jpg (56.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2480.jpg (64.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg swb x 4.jpg (119.6 KB, 13 views)

Jerry